Phil BB?

bruce t

Hey guys,

I was just replacing a chainring, noticed that my BB was just munched.

I was thinking of replacing it with a Phil Wood one (pricey, but I like the idea of a larger axle diameter). On the other hand, my LBS has NOS bearings for the originals.

Anyone who has done this, is there much difference in flex, creaking and groaning, etc. with the Phil over the stock shaft and bearings? Is it worth the extra cash?

Thanks to all, bt

rody

The quality of a Phil unit is uncontested...

however

what type of bb shell is currently in your Fat; press in or threaded?

If threaded, the Phil unit is a no brainer.

If press in, Phil does make specific bearings for your shell but spindle availability is a bit of a wait dependant on stock length required.

cheers,

rody

settemarche

Bruce,

Rody is right. Phil is superdope - but super expensive too.

i have tried to skirt getting a Phil and looked at the FSA Ultimax Ti. however the FSA has turned out to be a little harder to find than i thought. it looks the part, but we shall see. i am going to order one and then i can post the findings.

Sette

bruce t

Thanks guys,

This one is a 1989 Wicked with a press-in BB, 130mm, old XT 730 cranks.

It's been groaning and creaking a lot, and I was a bit surprised to take the crank arms off, and have it be so totally trashed.

Out of curiosity, are the Phil spindles all the same? There's a Phil BB on ebay, 130 mm(same as the existing one), could I strip the spindle and buy some new bearings and ditch the cups? Or are the threaded BB spindles different?

Are these held in place just by Loctite, or is there some type of mechanical retainer? (my Fat lockrings won't fit on a 17mm spindle).

Thanks Rody and all for your advice, looking forward to more....

Cheers,bt

rody

Bruce,

The spindles for the traditional cupped bb and the press in are in fact different.

The standard bb has a central cartridge that consists of a stainless steel housing, two bearings, and a spindle with machined shoulders that the bearings press in against. This then presses into the cups as you thread them into the frame using two special Phil bb tools.

The wicked press in unit has a smooth spindle that slides into the pressed in bearings and is held in lateral posistion by the lockrings.

Sounds to me like you just need to replace your bearings and lockrings (if they are tired), as the Phil conversions will be a bit of an uphill effort.

I've got the bearings and NOS locking collars in stock, pm me details...

cheers,

rody