Leni Fried Yo Eddy

yo_eddy2001

I just got my Yo back from Leni Fried. I’ve had the frame since the late 80’s or early 90’s. I rode and raced it for years. Maybe 10-12 years ago, I bought a new bike and the Yo just sat in the garage. I’d occasionally pilfer a part or two, or move it out of the way, but that’s it.

I had been thinking about refinishing it for years. A year or so ago I was in the middle of a move and figured it was as good a time as any to start the process. I sent the frame off to Christopher Igleheart and asked him to fix any dings, and to make me a replica fork.

From there the frame went to Leni. She was great to work with. We kicked around a bunch of ideas and settled on some North West tribal imagery. I live in Seattle now and have really developed an appreciation of the local art. I enjoyed the process immensely and I think Leni had some fun with it as well.

Once we had the basic idea, I basically gave her free reign on the design. The pictures don’t do the art justice. I’m very pleased with how it turned out. The frame is now officially retired. I’ll be hanging it in a place of honor in my house. It was my favorite bike, I rode the crap out of it; now it can have some well-deserved rest and start it’s new life as some very cool bike art.

Attachments

• LF_Yo 1.jpg
    LF_Yo 1.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 98
  • LF_Yo 2.jpg
    LF_Yo 2.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 81
  • LF_Yo 3.jpg
    LF_Yo 3.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 59
  • LF_Yo 4.jpg
    LF_Yo 4.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 66
  • LF_Yo 5.jpg
    LF_Yo 5.jpg
    160.2 KB · Views: 72
  • LF_Yo 6.jpg
    LF_Yo 6.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 67
  • LF_Yo 7.jpg
    LF_Yo 7.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 68
  • LF_Yo 8.jpg
    LF_Yo 8.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 62

tvcreative

Of course I was semi teasing about riding the piss out of it...it's definitely a work of art. Nadar weren't you looking to do something unusual like this with your most recent post?

yo_eddy2001

Handmade from ebony! One of the original Fat guys - Mike Augspurger - who opened Merlin, now runs One-Off titanium http://www.oneoffhandcycle.com/ and is Leni's partner I believe.

Yep, it's an Augspurger. Leni had an idea to do it in a local stone that the native tribes use for carving, but it turns out you need to be from a specific tribe to get it, so I thought ebony would look good. Turns out I was right, it is pretty slick.

...let people say what they wish, don't ride it, hang it (and if you need a Yo to ride drop me a line)

it's so, so cool mate :):)

which headset is that?

I will likely be looking for a Yo to ride. It would be cool to get one back on the trail. My wife doesn't realize that getting a new frame is the last part of the project. I think I'll let this one chill for a while before I break that too her.

yo_eddy2001

The work of Leni is just incredible :kissyface:kissyface

http://www.titaniumarts.com/

Yes it is

yes this's really something unusual ...but I live miles away from Leni :(

She has a phone ;) She is many miles from me as well. I did the whole thing by phone and e-mail. It was easy. Leni was great at communicating and sent me sketches and pics as we went through the process. If you have something in mind, don't let the distance dissuade you.