Yo Eddy Identification?

Way

Hi all,

New member here and I feel fortunate to have stumbled across this site!

My Team Fat Chance Yo Eddy has been sitting in my garage for MANY years and am looking to ride it again. I was wondering if you kind folks could help ID the frame. There is a serial number under the BB that is 337Y2S. Does this mean it is the 337 Yo Eddy, small, made in 1992? Sorry for the dark pics - it's a rainy day here. One thing I was also wondering about is that there is an American flag decal on the seat tube I see in many pictures of other Fat Chance frames. Mine doesn't have that - the frame was purchased from a LBS and was never repainted since, all original. I mention this because I've read about some frames were made in Canada. Could this be one of them?

Thanks!

Attachments

• P1000768.jpg
    P1000768.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 34
  • P1000766.jpg
    P1000766.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 34
  • P1000774.jpg
    P1000774.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 32
  • P1000772.jpg
    P1000772.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 35
  • P1000770.jpg
    P1000770.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 36
  • P1000769.jpg
    P1000769.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 48

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Your reading of the serial number is correct, and that is a Somerville, MA-built frame. Looks like it is in fantastic shape too!

Way

Your reading of the serial number is correct, and that is a Somerville, MA-built frame. Looks like it is in fantastic shape too!

Thanks for the info, Nate. Yes, it is in great shape, for some reason not ridden very much. Any idea about the "Don't tread on me" flag decal? Were these put on all frames on only ones from certain years?

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
They were usually on the Somervile frames (up to mid-'94), but they weren't ALWAYS on them. I have had a couple Somerville-era frames that didn't have them---one had the bike shop's sticker instead.

For frames that came after (Saratoga) there was a different decal.

Way

They were usually on the Somervile frames (up to mid-'94), but they weren't ALWAYS on them. I have had a couple Somerville-era frames that didn't have them---one had the bike shop's sticker instead.

For frames that came after (Saratoga) there was a different decal.

Many thanks Nate! Time for me to get back into riding again.

I-ROBOT

Hey Way

It is possible that the "don't tread on me" decal didn't get put on the frame. Either the dealer didn't want it or we simply had run out and didn't get in time before the frame had to ship.

Definitely looks like my welding though. The bike looks like its in pretty good shape.

I would say you are correct on the serial number decoding as well.

I don't remember those Made in USA decals like the one on your chainstay but those could have come from anywhere. Then again, there's quite a few things I don't remember (gasp, choke , cough, hint, hint);)

Take of that bike, OK?
Scott

IF52

I think those made in USA stickers came with either early Control Tech parts, or maybe it was Cannondales, or something. They came loose in the box for whatever it was and from time to time people would stick them on their bikes. In any case, they had nothing to do with Fat.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
Wrongish. There are four stickers in the mix here.

The made in the USA sticker in the photo above is one that comes on the CQP crankset he has mounted. The ControlTech one is slightly different and was on the underside of the extension or on the steerer portion of their stems (not sure on posts). The CQP one has a dogbone (or drivetrain?) silhouette that the ControlTech ones don't.

The "Made in USA" w/flag chainstay sticker Scott mentions is factory Fat decaling and part of the Chris Chance signature sticker. My '91, '92, '93, and '97 Yo's all had it as well.

And then there is the "Don't Tread on Me" flag that I think was the OPs original question. This isn't a regular US flag but based on a colonial one from a Ben Franklin cartoon that inspired the Gadsden flag (yellow with a coiled snake) and became, eventually, 13 red/white stripes and a snake: the first US Navy Jack flag.

Way

Thanks for all the replies. Pretty cool that the frame makers are here and offering insight and historical information. Yes, the US flag decal in the second pic in on the crank arm, not the frame. Definitely need to clean her up and put in some miles. Just a few more pics now that the sun is out.

Scott - Thanks! I'll take good care of her! Thank you for creating such a nice looking and riding bike!

Attachments

• P1000765.jpg
    P1000765.jpg
    215.7 KB · Views: 48
  • P1000791.jpg
    P1000791.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 28
  • P1000798.jpg
    P1000798.jpg
    95.5 KB · Views: 26
  • P1000803.jpg
    P1000803.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 29

IF52

Wrongish. There are four stickers in the mix here.

The made in the USA sticker in the photo above is one that comes on the CQP crankset he has mounted. The ControlTech one is slightly different and was on the underside of the extension or on the steerer portion of their stems (not sure on posts). The CQP one has a dogbone (or drivetrain?) silhouette that the ControlTech ones don't.

Ah, I should have click to enlarge the thumbnail. I only glanced and it look like it was on the chainstay.

There was something that used to come into the shop with a loose flag sticker though and I can't recall what it was. We had stacks of them and stuck them everywhere in the repair dept. I actually stuck one on my IF when I built it up. It may still be there unless the new owner stripped it off.

As to the Navy jack, the one on my monster isn't cleared over on the frame while the rest of the decals are. Maybe a situation like Scott suggested where they didn't have them during paint, but got them before the frame shipped. Who knows. Maybe the one on the OPs bike was left off or got peeled off.

IF52

Thanks for all the replies. Pretty cool that the frame makers are here and offering insight and historical information. Yes, the US flag decal in the second pic in on the crank arm, not the frame. Definitely need to clean her up and put in some miles. Just a few more pics now that the sun is out.

Scott - Thanks! I'll take good care of her! Thank you for creating such a nice looking and riding bike!

That is a neat color. Very pretty bike.

AB

Scott any help?

Hi all,

There is a serial number under the BB that is 337Y2S. Does this mean it is the 337 Yo Eddy, small, made in 1992? Thanks!

I don't agree that this was the 337 Yo produced in 1992 - I think that the serial number indicates that this was the 337th frame produced in'92 which happened to be a Yo. It would depend on how many frame welders they had at that time.

Scott any insight?

AB

ccartmell

698y3ml

Am in the process of rebuilding what's claimed to be a 1992 Yo.

So it's the 698th frame in 1993, size Medium/Large?

Any advice is appreciated!

Chris