7/11/11: FatCogs.com News

Doug Carter

Staff member
Hello fellow Fat fans,

I wanted to let you all know about some changes coming up for FatCogs.com in the very near future, that should not directly effect the site and the content, but is definitely important.

This website has been sold, and will be moving to a new host provider in the very near future. We will be temporarily closing the forums down soon as we make the transition to the new owner and location. We don't know how long the site will be down, as the new owner of FatCogs.com is John Vallins of RetroBike.co.uk, and we need to sync our schedules to execute the transition.

I will still be an Administrator here at least for a while, helping John with the day-to-day maintenance of the forums. I won't be going anywhere, and you'll still be able to buy FatCogs.com decals from me directly.

Nothing should change with the functionality of the forums during the transition, but I would highly suggest that you back up your important PMs, just in case. At the bottom of your PM Inbox, you can download everything as XML, CSV or TXT files for future use.

I don't believe there will be any other major changes to the forums here, but that will be in John's hands from here on out. Your Moderators will not change at all, with the exception that John will now be an Admin here, as well.

Just wanted to let you all know what will be going on here over the next couple of weeks. It's been a fun ride here over the last 7 years (almost to the day), and I have met a lot of great new friends. I started this site to open up the second-hand market sales of Fat Chance bikes out of selfish reasons—to find myself another M/L Team Violet Yo Eddy (which I am still looking for), and it turned into this wonderful little community of friends and fans. I couldn't be happier with the results of my meager efforts here.

The transition will be starting over the next couple of days, so don't panic if you come here and you aren't seeing the forums or the site at all. We'll do our best to make it seamless, but there will always be hiccups in transitions like this, so just hang tight.

Cheers,

doug

Spikes

Doug,

Many thanks for all your great work. I really enjoyed the site under your supervision and I hope that John will continue with your enthusiasm. It is great a forum like this exists. Not only for "selfish" reasons as you put it (very understandable), but also to share your bikes with others like art collectors share their artwork. All the best!

John

Administrator
Staff member
Would also like to extend my thanks to Doug for the work he's done here on fatcogs over the years. It was this site (amongst others) which reignited my passion for Fat (and other vintage brands) back in 2004 / 2005 and led me to setup a site called retrobike - some of you may know it ;) .

Going forward I don't intend to change much, just to build on the work of Doug and the rest of the FAT community. The site will continue to standalone (before someone suggests I intend to roll it into other sites). Of course if people have suggestions I'm happy to hear them, however don't expect anything to change until we've completed the server move :cool:

cheers

John

retrobike.co.uk

jbrannsten

Staff member
Thanks Doug for the great work you have put in so far and welcome to John. Knowing the Retrobike forum and site I'm sure FatCogs will be in safe hands going forward!

mainlyfats

I'll add my voice of thanks to you Doug. Many fun hours spent checking in over the years and, John, I'm sure there'll be many more to come.

Syborg

Thanks Doug for the really good work for the FATCOG's community. I wish you all the best for the future. I hope the site remains as it is and I am glad that someone has agreed to continue this good work. John, I thank you in advance for you at the time that you will invest here for us and our favorite brand. I look forward to what will come.

Greetings Helmut

brocklanders023

I'd like to echo the posts above. I've not been a member long but have been a long time browser.

I found this site through being a member of retrobike so am 100% sure it'll be in safe hands.;)

dan_hudson

Adding to the love-fest, thanks to Doug & all the helpers/moderators that make it possible. While more of a lurker, I've dropped in at least once or twice a week for years. Get a kick out of seeing all the nice Fats out there around the world still proving it on the trail on a regular basis.

Happy to read the site will continue.

StarTREK

Doug:
Thanks for your work, I want the spirit of Fat Cogs continue in the new stage.
My admiration and respect for you.

Cheers:beer::thup::beer::trophy:

He dicho.
I said
ein?

tangent

cheers

Hey Doug, many thanks for curating such a fine & Fat resource, have learnt a lot about those steel and ti bikes I like to ride!

John

Administrator
Staff member
The domain transfer is now in progress.

The site will be locked at some point in order to transfer the database. Please bare with us :cool:

yo' djblu

I'll chime in here as well doug. As soon as i found my fat for my with u started this site. Its been a constat source of fun and knowledge AND i got my fot from a member here on the site. We could have never gotten this far with out your great work!

ride on!