• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

1986 or 85? Chance FS on eBay

Chance from Bos

Psyched I joined your group. I have never been much of an eBay seller, but just listed my first item there. It's item # 270485765012, a 1986 Fat Chance I bought directly from the Union Square, Somerville factory in 1986. I remember walking around the factory between the hanging the frames, pretty cool. Since the idea of actually selling this is new to me, my reason for posting here is less about generating interest here, that's what eBay is for, and more about what it actually could sell for. I have a reserve set at $1,000, and it would be helpful to get feedback after seeing the photos if that could be realistic or if "I am smoking something" as they say. The bike is basically new and it looks like based on the info I found on the First Flight Bikes site, the components are the same as the 1985 FC. The mark on the bottom of the B Bracket says 86291 which I understand made it a 1986 frame. Cheers.:)

Last edited:

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
First of all, awesome bike. It is cool that you've had it since new too.

As for the price, I think there is pretty much no way in hell you'll meet your reserve. But I've been wrong before....

A few things are working against you--Fat's seem to garner higher prices for their early 90s bikes. An 80s Ritchey would get $$, but Fat's perhaps not as likely to do so. Also, despite a nearly complete parts roster, your bike doesn't *look* complete. If you were to build it up (and especially if you had the original decals) I'd say your chances would be much better of approaching that $ number. It helps people visualize interacting with the bike they could possibly own.

The last thing is that a reserve stifles bids. Sometimes it works the other way since someone might 'test' the reserve, driving up the price. But a lot of bikes with a high reserve end without it being met. Most of your market are here reading on FatCogs anyway-- I'd wager $1,000 is probably over the ceiling most people would go for. A no reserve auction has the benefit of getting more people involved as bidders in competition with each other earlier which can drive something higher than it might otherwise go under bidding with a reserve.

If you did go no reserve, it is possible that things might end lower than you would like, but if it seems like it might go that way, you can always cancel the auction if you need to (up to 24 hours out? I think). When I've sold big ticket things that I didn't want to take a hit on, I stated that the item is also available for local sale, and in the event it sells the eBay listing will end. In each case, however, I let it ride and the selling price surprised me!

Chance from Bos

Thank you so much for such a thoughtful reply. I guess I'll just have to see how it goes, can't list it without the reserve now. If I don't sell it, it's OK with me. It has been a part of my life for 23 years.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
No problem. I have been through the "selling a sentimental bike"-thing before.

I think you can lower reserve prices mid-auction if you think it is getting closer to a price that works for you. Sometimes the "seller lowered reserve!" notice that goes around can encourage bidding.

Anyway, good luck and cool bike.......never too late to keep it and restore. I think there are some proper decals floating around the 'bay, albeit slightly pricey.

Chance from Bos

Well, it''s the last day of the auction and I dropped the reservre by hundreds so let's see what happens. I am not going to give it away though, it would just make sense to keep it if the price is too low. The bike is basically new.....Cheers