How to remove the rivet on bottom bracket?

Steeltubes

Hello all,
I'm new here because I just bought a beat up frame, RockShox fork, XT headset, Fat Chance seat, handlebar and stem for $15. I searched around on the frame without luck and reading here that it is under the cable route piece riveted to the bottom bracket shell. What is the best way to remove the rivet and replace it later after painting it?

Thanks for your help!

Stingercut

When you have drilled it out, why not put some threads in the hole with a tap and die set and bolt it back. Then you can remove it to clean with less fuss next time.

Steeltubes

Thanks for the help!

I drilled out the rivet and was able to remove the guide. I still was not able to find the serial number until I removed the paint. Apperantly the frame had been sitting around in this guys garage floor so it is pretty rusty. The serial number is 10468W. Looks like it may be a 1988 Wicked. It measures out to be 19 ½".

I'll take this money pit project one step at a time. Next, I need to find a way to remove the clips holding the bearings in the bottom bracket shell. Any ideas?

I would post a picture but I'm not savy enough to reduce the bit size for this site.

Thanks so far for your help!

rick

BB bearings

The BB bearing are not held in place by those clips, they just control how far the bearings are pressed onto the BB shell. I believe that someone on this site covered this in great detail at some point. What I always do is remove the collars (SAE hex key), tap out the spindle, tap out one bearing using a brass punch and brass hammer, and then do the same on the other side. Reassembly is just the reverse. Fairly easy to figure out once you take a look at it.
If you take it to a bike shop they can install with a cool pressing tool.
Good luck and have fun

Steeltubes

Re: BB Bearings

Thanks Rick. After you wrote I looked at it and see what you described. I'll look up that thread too and review what was discussed. Everyone's help has been great so far!

Steeltubes

New bearings?

Well, I removed the bottom bracket bearings with no problem and cleaned up the surface rust. everything looks good. The new bearings will press into the frame just fine, but the spindle actually measures 16mm and not the 17mm listed everywhere else. Now I need to either find a 17mm spindle or a bearing with a 16mm inner diameter.

Anyone ever heard of a 16mm spindle?

rick

BB spindle

Yes, I have come across this same situation before. If you take a sample to a bearing house or decent industrial supply store, they should be able to supply either bearing. You can also order on-line, the number should be marked on the bearing

Steeltubes

It's actually 5/8"

Thanks Rick! I took your advice and brought everything to a local bearing supply store. They measured the spindle and inner diameter of the original bearing to be 5/8". They ordered them and I should see them Friday.

Interestingly, they also have 5/8" pinch bolt collars that will arrive on Friday also. They sell for $1.50. I'll check it out and see if they will be able to replace the broken original collars. Groovy Cycles no longer supplies collars or bearings anymore.