Fat City Stem

In 1987 I ordered my first Fat Chance. This is the stem it came with!
Fat_City_Stem.jpeg

At the time I worked at Mark's Bike Shop, and we were fast becoming an hot East Coast mail order shop in addition to a cool LBS. I ordered the Fat as an employee bike and was really surprised with the stem they sent. In fact, Wendyll "suggested" I send it back as it was a FC stem and not supposed to leave their shop, but also hinted it would be OK to keep it :)

Tom P.

Last edited:
With considerable effort, I suppose I could find one. I sold that Fat Chance in 1989 to finance a new 1989 Wicked. This particular FC was the powder coat Red, with a Yellow fork and stem, chain stay Roller Cam, Deore XT (deerhead) with ratched shifters and Biopace rings. An hour or two with pin striping tape and it was officially tiger-striped!

I think I still have the deraileurs in a box somewhere...maybe shifters too.

Tom P.

Stingercut

With considerable effort, I suppose I could find one. I sold that Fat Chance in 1989 to finance a new 1989 Wicked. This particular FC was the powder coat Red, with a Yellow fork and stem, chain stay Roller Cam, Deore XT (deerhead) with ratched shifters and Biopace rings. An hour or two with pin striping tape and it was officially tiger-striped!

I think I still have the deraileurs in a box somewhere...maybe shifters too.

Tom P.

I had visions of this Team Comp paint job

http://velocult.com/bikes/fat-chance-team-comp/

Was curious about these early custom FC paint styles ;)

rody

In the second half of the 80's to the early 90's Grove Innovations supplied stems, bars, and some combos to Chris for special builds.

Looks like you have an early example.

rody