If it ain't got that bling!

Kevin Grady

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

I-ROBOT

Those bolts would probably be fine if the installation procedure is followed EXACTLY!!

You cannot use those bolts to INSTALL the crankset. The crankset should be installed using steel bolts and/or some type of clamping device that presses the crank arms onto the spindle. Then the alloy bolts can be installed.

Torquing and lubricating procedures would have to followed to the letter. Make sure the crank manufacturer allows the use of alloy fixing bolts, especially if you have a warranty on your crankset.

I'm sure a reputable high-end dealer / mechanic can give you more details.

One time, we were discussing some type of design change (I don't remember what exactly, but Chris proposed using aluminum bolts. I immediately replied "I thought you couldn't say aluminum and bolt in the same sentence?!?!" Everyone cracked up laughing and the idea was nixed.

Best of Luck
Scott Bengtson

rick

aluminum crank bolts

in years past I used aluminum crank bolts and never had a problem with them other than the fact that they had to be checked and re-torqued regularly. I installed them exactly as Scott describes, which was a minor pain. These days I am no longer the weight weenie that I once was, would likely never use them again on a bike that I planned to actually ride.
FYI, I use the same procedure on some of my bikes that have Ti crank bolts.