This may create enemies but here's my plan

jolfstn

I have a 1987 Wicked Fat Chance that I'm in the process of motorizing. I'm seeking a front fork that has shocks & mounts for disc brakes. I'm willing to trade the original fork & pay a bit.
I know these bikes are beloved & it might be sacrilegious to commit the atrocity of motorizing a collectors item, but the super light super strong chromoly frame with the expert welds just sort of lends itself to it.
bobsbike.jpg
I was given this bicycle in a barter for labor, my bike was stolen and my friend said I could have this one if I fixed his folding bike with a Sturmey-Archer internal hub. THAT was a bear, I'm an amateur bike mechanic at best, and those things don't forgive! At any rate, I did my best and spent way more time than I intended, have just today ordered my motor & dual pull brake lever. I'm also going to downgrade it from 21 speed to 1 speed, and put drum or disc brake on the front. If this offends anyone, I'M SORRY! Does anyone have a fork with shocks and disc mounts that will fit the Wicked Fat Chance? Does anyone want the original fork? There is a bit of road scratches and a tiny bit of rust, but it's in good condition, considering it's been exposed to elements and ridden hard in years past. If someone could at least recommend where I might find an affordable option I'd be grateful. Please, no pipe bombs or anything sent to me for desecrating a beloved Fat City model.

jpicard616

There's no improper way to outfit a Fat as long as you ride it!

As for suspension, that frame isn't made to handle a suspension fork and you might have some mild to serious geometry issues if you attach one. That being said, you could easily get a suspension stem to help ease out those potholes. I have a 1" Softride quill stem I could sell you if you're interested.

I-ROBOT

One of Chris Chance's intentions was to create a platform that could be individualized. We valued our customers' creativity and style and strived to given each one a base to express their unique traits. We encouraged our customers to share their creations and saw everything from mild to wild. I could never criticize any individual expression even if I didn't necessarily agree with it.

I am most intrigued by your experiment and can't wait to see the result. Please post updates of your project

Best of luck
Scott

jolfstn

progress so far

Here's were I am so far. Pretty smooth ride even without shocks, but brakes definitely need to be upgraded. Also, need a softer seat. Man, my ass is sore! Even worse than tax time! Otherwise, lots of fun!2014-05-21 14.33.17.jpgAIbEiAIAAABECJ_k5dqf9p-8mgEiC3ZjYXJkX3Bob3RvKig5MjE3YTRiMjU3NGFkNThiYTA2M2E0ZWQ4ZDdlZDZiZDEzOGIw.jpg