• All For Sale Adverts Must Have A Price !

1990 or 91 Wicked

MikeInOC

Hi, guys--first post. Glad to see some passion for things well made.

Probably way more history than you need...

I test rode a Wicked in 1988 at a Tempe, AZ bike shop and fell in love. Sadly, just leaving ASU with no means to purchase one. I moved to Sommerville MA to begin my career in Boston without knowing the bikes were made there. I finally clued in and visited the shop. As soon as I had the coin I ponied up for a Wicked. Put some slicks on it and used it as a commuter (I had no car). It was black with yellow fork and no decals. It was promptly stolen from the bike rack in front of Polaroid HQ where I worked in Cambridge (in view of the guard kiosk, but still, duh!). One renter's insurance claim, police report and deductible later I was replacing the bike. Chris again built me a mostly-black Wicked with no decals, this time with a black fork. This is the bike I'm selling.

I moved to Orange County CA in '92 and finally began using the bike for, wow, mountain biking. This went on for a few years until I began having low back issues and stopped biking altogether. Since then the bike has mostly been in storage, though I have busted it out a few times, and even more recently (in better back health), put a rack on back and did a 4-day bike camping trip with the wifers and also rode it off the top of 14K' White Mountain Peak.

WickedFC1.jpg

WickedFC2.jpg

Loaded for/on Catalina Island

WickedFC3.jpg

At 14K' on White Mountain (yes, with a climbing helmet)

I've realized that with care for my back I can still MTB. Suspension, though, is more or less a need for my back care (as is a good back support). We've taken on a HT mtn tandem and I'm riding a FS 29er single with good results. Seeing that I'm trying to not be a collector of sentimental and unused gear, the Wicked is on the chopping block. This bike has been neglected due mainly to disuse. I did replace a taco'ed rim and a broken rear der, but beyond that it's pretty much stock. I had a local guy go through it completely in the mid 90s, including stripping and powder coating the frame. (The guy mentioned to "never sell this frame," but here I am...) The seat post is frozen in place. There's a crack in the outer ring of the BB. The bike has been used with impunity along with being ignored in storage.

I basically don't care to put any effort beyond this post into unloading the bike. I'd be thrilled if some lover of Fat Chances would drive over to Huntington Beach and take away my WFC for $200. I'm thinking and hoping that based on my paltry "research" that that's a good deal for someone. If that's unrealistic I'll most likely drive it over to Goodwill a few miles away. Sorry, but no interest at all in shipping it.

Reply here, or better still, ring my cel 949 500 5582.

Thanks for enduring the tome. Stay passionate, steel lovers.

dvdgibson

wicked

$200 is a very fair price for that bike, too bad I live 2,000 miles away. I'm sure someone will snap up it up for that price.

MikeInOC

Thanks, gibson. Hoping it's a bargain...like to see the passion rewarded, and I have another bike purchase to take some sting out of if I can.

Just emailed you bad, 45Ronin.

As I emailed 45R, it's 19.5" from BB center to seat tube exit. Kind of important info I guess = | Not sure what size that makes it, med or small. You guys would know...

dftuttle

I picked this up yesterday. I would say it's not in to bad of shape. Mostly just neglected a couple of miles from the beach. All the chome hardware is blistering from rust. Could us a repaint.