Fat Chance stem

Spikes

Just out of curiosity: who can tell me more about this Fat Chance stem? Did they come as an aftermarket accessory, or only with certain models? Who made them and what was the price? Did they come in black only, or also with decals on it? And last but not least: is it really a Fat Chance stem????

It would be nice to know a bit more about this piece of beauty. Thanks!

Attachments

• DSC_0441.jpg
    DSC_0441.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 42

rody

spikes,

Is the stem Tig welded or brazed? I know Grove Innovations built a run of bar/stem combos and a few stems but this design is not consistant with what they sold them. A few closer shots, specifically of the clamp and steerer tube sleeve would help narrow the search.

cheers,

rody

Spikes

rody,

It is brazed and looks very sweet and well made. Hopefully these closeups are of any use. Let me know if you need an additonal view.

Cheers,

Spikes

Attachments

• DSC_0004.jpg
    DSC_0004.jpg
    119 KB · Views: 37
  • DSC_0005.jpg
    DSC_0005.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC_0006.jpg
    DSC_0006.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 30

marc

the stem is mounted wrong imho.

if it's 1" ahead then it should be 25.4mm clamp on both sides, but the side you've mounted on the fork-side should be mounted on the bar-side. then you've got a full clamp on the ahead steerer and the curved side on the bar

2manybikes

stem

Your back to front stem looks like an old control tech to me.dont know if fats were ever fitted with them but my old lite speed was
rolleyes.gif