'91 Monster Fat,51mm susp fork vs. rigid

rthomer

I have a 91 Monster, pre-suspension, but have always run a Marzoocchi XC700 51mm travel. It has handled OK.
I am ready to strip down the the bike for a re-spray (Joe Bell) and I'm considering going with a straight Yo Fork, if I can find one or have one made. I am curious if the handling will be different for the better, or even noticable.
Any one have experience with going from suspension to rigid?? I may find a fork anyway to have it sprayed so I have it. I have the original threaded fork, not straight but dont want to use it.
BTW, been sitting on new Monster decals for a couple of years, excited to repaint. I made the same mistake others have made, repainted the original "pink" frame, I couldnt find the original Frankenstein sticker then, but have them now. Planning a fade, or 2 tone to compliment the stickers, green and purple. Maybe purple fork and head tube, to green top tube with flames or drip effect. Seat stays, seat tube and chain stays green.
Thanks for any input.
Robert

rody

Robert,

I'll second the rigid, nothing like riding the bike as it was intended in the designer's mind. You'll give up a bit of the comfort and have to learn to finesse through lines with more grace, but it WILL make you a better rider.

Additionally, the acid drip paint scheme with purple and green would be killer on the Monster...would love to see pics after Joe finishes it :D

Good luck with the resto, nothing like giving new life to an old friend,

rody

PS...any current pics you're willing to share?

rthomer

Regarding Restore

Rody,
Thanks for the input. I think I'm going to have to go rigid. As it turns out, the fork I thought was original, isn't. Poster jbrannsten pointed that out to me. So I DO need a new fork. Any leads?
I'm excited about a Joe Bell paint scheme, and think the acid drip idea is better than flames. Bell is less than 2 hrs south of me, so I plan on taking it to him in person. If I can figure out how to post a pic, I'll show you a before shot. Looking forward to the project.
Thanks again.
Robert