what's your opinion on bontragers?

colker

i have a line on one and don't know if i take the plunge.. bontys seem to be on the other end of the handling spectrum when i look at their geometry: steep seat angles, short rake fork, low BB.. plus almost everyone agrees they are not the best descenders. some say they are evil bitches whenever the trail goes down abruptly..
otoh.. they are great climbers and excell on flowing singletrack.

hhhhhmmm. should i?

billyb

I like the Road Lite I still have it hanging in the basement definitely a keeper. I wasn't impressed w/ the handling on the mtb though.

billyb

It seems that they were twitchy IMO ,I really fell in love with the stableness of my Buck at the time still do.

Bssc

A good cali fire road bike, not much good in the single track and they also like a Bridgestone MB zip have a short life span when used. If you want something odd grab a Salsa or a WTB frame they ride great and can handle single track too.

colker

A good cali fire road bike, not much good in the single track and they also like a Bridgestone MB zip have a short life span when used. If you want something odd grab a Salsa or a WTB frame they ride great and can handle single track too.

you mean poor handling in tight, STEEP, slow.. technical stuff? yup, that's what i was told.
i will pass.

fat66

Bonty's.......worked for me!

i have ridden numerous Bonty's, they were sweet in the 4 Corners area of the Southwest, got one next in line for a build up this Spring,,,,,,,which model were you interested in?
mg

colker

i have ridden numerous Bonty's, they were sweet in the 4 Corners area of the Southwest, got one next in line for a build up this Spring,,,,,,,which model were you interested in?
mg

i was up for a race, medium. the color.. well...didn't like the color so i passed. i am still interested in finding a racelite medium frame. silver, black, blue, red... i don't care for purple.

settemarche

Flav,

i think you should get one. the build reminds me of a Buckshaver - rear monostay and whatnot. super cool retro style. but, i think for those larger riders Bontragers were not the best choice.

Sette

lucifer

I always thought the build quality looked sub par compared to fats. Although I did like the way the few I tried rode.

colker

Flav,

i think you should get one. the build reminds me of a Buckshaver - rear monostay and whatnot. super cool retro style. but, i think for those larger riders Bontragers were not the best choice.

Sette

i hear the geometry is sketchy on steep, slippery singletrack... something fats are really dialed.

i do have a line on a racelite but didn't jump in yet.

settemarche

I always thought the build quality looked sub par compared to fats. Although I did like the way the few I tried rode.

Oh Lord of Darkness,

ever been to Santa Cruz??? check it out and you will know why the build quality was most likely sub par as compared to a Fat. a place of great creation and ideas. however not the best of venues for execution.

and comments were directed toward the layout of frames. monostay. gussests under the downtube. i was not speaking about the construction of frames themselves.

i also think the Bontragers were built to suit the type of riding in that general Central Coast California area. more fire road stuff. arid hard pack.

Sette

yo' djblu

all my friends were big on bon. I was the only fat rider and took allot of heat. I say screw-m i love my yo. They just always looked a bit fatter and cooler to me. :) Such a technical review huh!

settemarche

Flavor Flav,

it was a mistake. i was at work and just threw in a bid. thought it would go much higher. but, i accidently won a Race Lite. it should be here some time late this week. i plan to give you some serious back to back Fat to Bonti feedback.

this weekend i took out the Aqua Fade rigid Yo. sweet bike. i really was not beat up over 9 miles. people were stoked to see it. many in disbelief that someone would be riding a non suspension bike!

Sette

colker

Flavor Flav,

it was a mistake. i was at work and just threw in a bid. thought it would go much higher. but, i accidently won a Race Lite. it should be here some time late this week. i plan to give you some serious back to back Fat to Bonti feedback.

this weekend i took out the Aqua Fade rigid Yo. sweet bike. i really was not beat up over 9 miles. people were stoked to see it. many in disbelief that someone would be riding a non suspension bike!

Sette

hmmm! which size? built up bike? i am about to pull the trigger on a frame only. i am on the fence since it's frame only and i have to build it from scratch including repaint... finding a 1in susp. fork 63mm w/ teh right bonty crown? yeah. good luck.
been riding the wicked... what a nice bike. magic. the way it distributes weight, the way it fits even being one size smaller. it's a subtle bike: it pretends to be a sport, cityish bike but once you throw it in a tight spot it turns to a wild cat finding traction all over the ground and saving my ass in those scary steeps.

colker

Dammit!!!

'm still trying to find a 19" Wicked. I had that 18" all lined up too...

-j

there was one on ebay till yesterday. the seller saying it was an 18 but it was a 19. wickeds are everywhere. grab one!
it's a SWEET bike.