Fat City Cycles Frame Registry

sierraben

This is my 1st post on this forum.
I purchased my Wicked after test riding a Monster Fat. I was hooked.
Did a few component upgrades.
Also did a bike trip, with panniers, hopping islands between British Columbia
and Vancouver Island. That was a blast.
Now the bicycle is in pieces. I strip down the frame to bare metal,
and check for any cracks. Nothing. It's a clean frame.
I was going to off the frame and everything, but decided to keep it instead.
I'm glad I kept it, and glad I found this FAT Forum.

Frame type: Wicked Fat Chance
Frame number: 871366
Year of manufacture: Purchased in 1989
Frame size: 18"
Color: Originally, maroon w/ yellow decals.
Owner name: Ben Ramos
Photo: It's an old scanned photo

Attachments

• 89 wicked fat chance-a.jpg
    89 wicked fat chance-a.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 47

galico

I came across this bike at a yard sale in Salt Lake City, Utah. I am not a mountain biker. I am a roadie, but I needed a bike to ride with my grandson on a nearby trail. So for $20.00 I took a chance.
I decided to look into what I bought and my searches became interesting and lead me to this web site.
So here is what I think I got and if anyone is interested you can tell me if I am wrong.
I have what looks to be a 1983 Fat Chance. The serial number is 83104. I think that it has been repainted with this stippled heavy mess, I believe it was originally black, but fortunately when it was painted they masked off the Fat Chance Logo.
It has a 26” front and 24” rear wheelset. The front wheel has a Ritchy Vantage-Heat treated sticker on it and the spoke nipples look to be an anodized red.
The rear derailleur is Shimono Deore. The headset is a Shimano 600. The seat post is a Suntor. The crank set is a Shimano Deore and the front chain ring is stamped “Vuleta USA“. The seat post clincher is a Campy (wow).

[URL="http://home.comcast.net/~galico/fatchance/newbikepic.jpg"] [/URL]
Have a Look at the below URL for detailed pictures of this bike.

http://home.comcast.net/~galico/fatchance/WebPics/Indexfatchance.html

Last edited:

Doug Carter

Staff member
Wow! That's easily one of the coolest finds on this site, maybe ever. You scored one of the infant Fats, and your $20 was VERY well spent. I don't know of many here that are older than that bike. That is seriously one super cool bike.

I'm sure there are some original Fat employees around that could provide a lot more background on that, but that awesome paint looks a lot like something they might have done at the factory. You never know.

Super cool. Welcome to the club. Fats are a mainlined sugar directly to your veins. :D

galico

Thanks Doug for the reply

Wow! That's easily one of the coolest finds on this site, maybe ever. You scored one of the infant Fats, and your $20 was VERY well spent. I don't know of many here that are older than that bike. That is seriously one super cool bike.

I'm sure there are some original Fat employees around that could provide a lot more background on that, but that awesome paint looks a lot like something they might have done at the factory. You never know.

Super cool. Welcome to the club. Fats are a mainlined sugar directly to your veins. :D

Thanks for the reply, I can tell that this stuff is adicting. I spent pretty much the better part of a whole day getting my posting ready. It is fun to ride so I guess I will go to my LBS, who knew plenty about Fats and have him lavish it with some TLC.

jawakaman

Saratoga wishbone Ti Fat

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Titanium
Frame number: TF M 011
Year of manufacture: 1995 (probably)
Frame size: Medium
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): Bead blasted
Location (city, state, country): Stabekk, Norway - since new ;)
Owner name: Jawakaman
Photo, if possible: Updated!

Attachments

• leftside.jpg
    leftside.jpg
    442.2 KB · Views: 48
  • rearbrake.jpg
    rearbrake.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 26
  • cranks.jpg
    cranks.jpg
    370.9 KB · Views: 31
  • fronthub.jpg
    fronthub.jpg
    428.7 KB · Views: 22
  • rearderailleur.jpg
    rearderailleur.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 32
  • shifters_levers.jpg
    shifters_levers.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 30
  • frontderailleur.jpg
    frontderailleur.jpg
    322.2 KB · Views: 27
  • rightside.jpg
    rightside.jpg
    471.2 KB · Views: 39
  • stem_wires.jpg
    stem_wires.jpg
    306.4 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:

lge32

Frame Type: Fat Chance
Frame No: 10758F
Year: 1998? (based on breakdown from previous posting)
Frame Size: 18
Color: Kandy Wild Cherry
Owner: Lance Ebeling
Pic: Coming soon

DHSlammer

Frame type (Yo!, Wicked, etc.): Yo!
Frame number: 737Y3ML
Year of manufacture: 1993
Frame size: Medium / Large
Color (original and repainted, if applicable): Chameleon Metallica
Location (city, state, country): Santa Barbara, CA
Owner name: DH Slammer

1_small.jpg

5_small.jpg

3_small.jpg

6_small.jpg

2_small.jpg

4_small.jpg

Specs:
Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet
Stem: Syncros 150mm Cattlehead
Handlebar: Answer Hyperlite
Barends: onZa Team Ti
Groupset: XTR M900
Shifters/Brakes: XTR M900 RapidFire +
Brakes: XTR M900
Pedals: XT PD-M737
Wheels: XTR M900 Mavic X217 14 DT alloy nips & Tioga Disk Drive
Seatpost: Thomson Elite
Saddle: Flite Ti
Grips: Oury
Tires: onZa Porcupine 26x2.1" folding

Last edited:

DHSlammer

I doubt whether the 10th uses Quad butted tubing. Always assumed 10th was an early development of 2nd gen Yo tubing. 1st gen was Quad, 2nd 3ple TT OX3.

Btw I do not know what informations on quality the # of butts contains :confused: Some time ago read a story on what the # of butts denotes. Do not remember how the story was exactly, but I do know there was a lot misinformation and marketing concerned in communication by companies.

The number of the butts refers to how expensive and processed the tubing is, also the relative weight savings of the frame. I believe that the Ritchey and his "Vector Force Analysis" stuff made extensive use of butting and wall thickness specific to application to achieve light weight and maintain performance.

Now Im no metalurgist nor am I any sort of documented tube-ologist but I think this is how butting goes (correct me if I am wrong here)

Tubes, specifically in regards to bike frames, tend to incur the most stress at the ends of the respective tubes due to angular junctions and post weld heat stress. Therefore, butting is a process of changing wall thickness mid-tube (removing material at the middle section of the tube where the tube takes less stress therefore the excess material is not needed and removed) in favor of weight savings.

I believe that the number of butts refers to EACH TIME the wall thickness changes. Generally you hear of even numbered butts on a tube.

(Fanciful illustration attached)

There is all sorts of other info in regards to the length of the actual butted section ie how much tube length does the transition from one wall thickness to the other thickness take, a smoother transition tends to be stronger than a square edged transition but I dont have as much info about this facet of tubing design.

Comments? Corrections?

Enjoy.

Attachments

• butted_tubing.gif
    butted_tubing.gif
    10.5 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

I-ROBOT

Congrats!!

Hi Galico
Welcome to Fat Cogs! You've made quite a find. Obviously, the seller had no clue. It's definitely a Fat Chance. The original decal was removed since it was quite different from the block-letter style logo that is most common. That frame was very likely plasma-welded by Gary Helfrich who left Fat City to start Merlin Metalworks. I don't know how many '83 frames were produced but I believe that was the first year of the welded (not brazed) production frames. I replaced Gary at the end of '86.
The black paint is epoxy powder coat which we had done by an outside vendor whose name escapes me right now. I was more concerned with welding than painting. The powder coat made a good base coat for our custom paint jobs but I can tell you that frame was not re-painted by Fat City. Whoever did it knew what the block-letter logo looked like. I'm not sure how they masked off the letters but it's not that bad overall. Not great and certainly not what Fat City would do, but what do you want for $20!!!
The frame is worth restoring if you care to invest in it.
Best of Luck
Scott "I-Robot" Bengtson
Fat City chief welder 1986 - 1994

I came across this bike at a yard sale in Salt Lake City, Utah. I am not a mountain biker. I am a roadie, but I needed a bike to ride with my grandson on a nearby trail. So for $20.00 I took a chance.
I decided to look into what I bought and my searches became interesting and lead me to this web site.
So here is what I think I got and if anyone is interested you can tell me if I am wrong.
I have what looks to be a 1983 Fat Chance. The serial number is 83104. I think that it has been repainted with this stippled heavy mess, I believe it was originally black, but fortunately when it was painted they masked off the Fat Chance Logo.
It has a 26

jawakaman

Frame type: Yo Eddy! Team Fat Chance
Frame number: 434Y18
Year of manufacture: 1991
Frame size: Small
Color Metalic Teal
Location (city, state, country): Alabama, USA
Owner name: Montana
Photo, if possible:

Just recently did an equipment upgrade!!!

Montana, that is one of the prettiest FATs around. Gorgeous!! :D

galico

What next for the 1983 Fat Chance

Hi Galico
Welcome to Fat Cogs! You've made quite a find. Obviously, the seller had no clue. It's definitely a Fat Chance. The original decal was removed since it was quite different from the block-letter style logo that is most common. That frame was very likely plasma-welded by Gary Helfrich who left Fat City to start Merlin Metalworks. I don't know how many '83 frames were produced but I believe that was the first year of the welded (not brazed) production frames. I replaced Gary at the end of '86.
The black paint is epoxy powder coat which we had done by an outside vendor whose name escapes me right now. I was more concerned with welding than painting. The powder coat made a good base coat for our custom paint jobs but I can tell you that frame was not re-painted by Fat City. Whoever did it knew what the block-letter logo looked like. I'm not sure how they masked off the letters but it's not that bad overall. Not great and certainly not what Fat City would do, but what do you want for $20!!!
The frame is worth restoring if you care to invest in it.
Best of Luck
Scott "I-Robot" Bengtson
Fat City chief welder 1986 - 1994
Thanks Scott for the information.
I may be interested in a restoration project. I realize that several things would have to be done such as find an original front fork, stem and bars, strip, repaint and re decal.
Who would I go to, to begin the process. I would imagine stripping and custom painting could be done where I live in northern Utah. I read on this web site that decals were at one time available. Any advise or direction would be appreciated.

My pal who lead me to this bike, a yard sale junkie, was also a welding instructor and metal sculpture. He died about 6 months ago and he would be totally stoked by the results of the find. So I am motivated to do this project perhaps just to get a smile from heaven and be able to show the pic's of before and after.
Any advice would be appreciated.
I may even take it to Moab.
Thanks
Galico

bruce t

Hey, that's a great bike, and a great find. I have a 1989 Fat Chance fork, threaded. from a 1989 19.5" frame. Sub two pounds. If you're interested, let me know. Cheers, bt

jawakaman

Frame type: Yo Eddy

Frame number: 115Y4M

Year of manufacture: 1994

Frame size: M

Color: Aquamarine fade with opposing color stars (Vicious Cycles)

Owner name: Vaughn

MORE PICS IN READERS RIDES !

VERY COOL! Paint job and custom decals by Fat?

kc67jc69

1996 Buck Saver
Serial # BS L 19
Color= Black (original)
frame size=19"
Location= Fitchburg, Massachusetts
owner=John Caban

Butcher

1990 Yo Eddy

I just got my Yo Eddy fever back! I've had this frame since 1995 when I purchased it from my "at the time" Brother in Law. I shelved it due to chain suck damage shortly after I got it and always planned to do something with it. I guess it took me a LONG time - but in the mean time it turned into a Cult bike. Damaged repaired it's now my "new" single speed racer. Here are the details

Type: Yo Eddy
#: 375YO9
Year 1990
Size 19"
Color: Lime green to dark blue fad (original paint)
Owner Brian Johnson

It's set up as a single speed racer - 32-17 gearing and the wheel just drops in so no tensioner :) The Yo and I will be doing the Laramie enduro Ultra July 26th. I have a set of White Industry eccentric hubs on the way.

This winter I'm going to have a Tubeectomy done to it as the seat tube has a rust issue, so a repaint and all is in the future. Any one have any idea what type of tubes were used on these early Yo Eddy's?

One more cool thing...The bike had a Mag 21 when I got it that I sold in a garage sale years ago. I looked up my former brother in law and asked him what he did with the original fork and he said he still had it and would like to see it reunited with the frame too and would trade me a bottle of wine for it.

Later

Attachments

• 080608_17191[1] (2).jpg
    080608_17191[1] (2).jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 28
Last edited:

misterdangerpants

1992 Fat Chance Yo Eddy

wow, so many nice bikes in here! :D thought I'd put my newest acquisition in here, too, to make it official:

Frame type: Fat Chance Yo Eddy
Frame number: 533Y2MS
Year of manufacture: 1992
Frame size: S/M
Color: Black

so, I already posted in the Reader's Rides Gallery so I won't go into too much detail. I recently purchased this from the original owner, who rarely rode it. it was like a museum piece. it only saw pavement, and was taken out for a dozen short rides or so. it's all original, too, right down to the tires, which is the only thing I upgraded when I got it home.

Attachments

• attachment.jpeg
    attachment.jpeg
    133.5 KB · Views: 38