Yo Eddy dilemma

jjb

Hi folks,
I am in a quandary about what to do with my Yo Eddy, serial number 652Y2M. The seat post has seized inside the seat tube twice - the first time, I hacksawed out the stuck post and got the seat collar tidied up (so not in original configuration) by Argos of Bristol, had braze-ons added for a rear rack (silly me!), sprayed in its current color, and I added decals. A few years later, I got a new seat post, which I thought (and was assured) was the correct size, only to find when I inserted it that it was too big - and it got stuck inside the seat tube. I gave it to a metalworking friend to sort out. He removed the post, but the top of the seat tube above the collar split when he removed the post. He said the bike would be would be fine to ride, and I have been riding it for the last two years in this condition (with a post that fits!). The damaged seat tube has showed no signs of getting worse, and the current seat post is regularly greased, and moves smoothly up and down.

So, I have a useable Yo Eddy. I am thinking of getting the seat tube sorted out, though this will then necessitate a respray. Another issue, I think this bike is just too small for me (it's a medium). I am 6'3, and tell myself that it fits because of the long top tube, and the bike has a crouched over, racing-style geometry anyway, so I should just get on with riding it. But my other bike is a 20.5" Cove Hummer, so the Yo Eddy does feel too small if I am honest.

I guess I could try swapping it for a large Yo Eddy, but then there's the seat tube issue. So, Fat Chance connoisseurs, what should I do about the seat tube?
Thanks for reading, and any advice you can offer!

Attachments

• IMG_0071.jpg
    IMG_0071.jpg
    302.4 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0075.jpg
    IMG_0075.jpg
    217.3 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0078.jpg
    IMG_0078.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0080.jpg
    IMG_0080.jpg
    246.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0082.jpg
    IMG_0082.jpg
    224.9 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0085.jpg
    IMG_0085.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0088.jpg
    IMG_0088.jpg
    274.3 KB · Views: 25
  • Fat Chance seat tube 1.jpg
    Fat Chance seat tube 1.jpg
    520.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Fat Chance seat tube 2.jpg
    Fat Chance seat tube 2.jpg
    481.7 KB · Views: 4
  • Fat Chance seat tube 3.jpg
    Fat Chance seat tube 3.jpg
    282.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

nader

Adding braze-ons for a rear rack was not a good idea! :(

This is a ML Yo and fits up to 73 inch tall riders quite well.
I would reduce the seat tube with a very long sleeves to 28.6 mm and ride it with matching seatpost.

jjb

Hi Nader,
thanks for response. Are you sure it is a ML? I thought it was a medium because of the serial number, 652Y2M.....

WD Pro

Bad news :( you will have to scrap it and give me the forks. If it helps, I would cover the postage ... ? ;)

If it fits or not, is only a choice that you can make :)

Eveything else can be fixed, bosses are easily removed, seat tubes can be replaced (having mine done) - It's just if you want the hassle and spend the $'s ... ?

WD :)

mainlyfats

That bike's too small for you and - unless you can get the work done very cheaply - you'd never recoup the cost of putting it right when you sell. And you should sell.

My advice would be to sell the fork for what it's worth (a bunch) because it won't work on a large, then pretty much give the frame away - $100? - as a basket case.

Then wait for a large to come your way.

Zamfir

That poor Yo, looks sad in the pics with the mangled seat tube and skinny tires.

I will say it's great that you have been and continue riding the bike.

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
I'd second what mainlyfats said. It is too small for you and looks like more work than it is worth. I am 6'1" and can ride the medium Yo Eddy that I've had since it was a little too big for me (jr. high), but would be better off on an ML. You certainly would be better on an ML or L.

jjb

Thanks for suggestions folks....

WD Pro, just seen your Yo Eddy build on Retrobike, and after reading (some) of your incredible Marin build, am deeply impressed. I might be up for swapping my frame/BOI fork depending what you have, or have access to.... I'm after a decent steel frame, around 20", not too bothered about scratches/colour/condition of paint. Ideally something like Tange Prestige or Infinity.

WD Pro

Thanks for the comments :cool:

I wish I had something to swap those forks for, but I don't ... :(

I don't have many bikes, everything I own is posted to Retrobike - certainly no spare frames or forks, only a few spare parts.

If you do decide to split / sell (I don't think you should !), I would be very interested in first refusal on the forks though :)

Cheers,

WD :)

AB

Should be a medium frame - not sure where ML came from from your description.

nader

Hi Nader,
thanks for response. Are you sure it is a ML? I thought it was a medium because of the serial number, 652Y2M.....
sorry my bad, haven't paid attention to serial number. Indeed according to SN it is a M frame.

It is definitely not a basket case. It's a very nice frame with original fork, I would restore it. If I didn't have enough of it...:rolleyes:

IF52

You have Bilenky and Firth & Wilson in the Philly area, might see if they can give you some repair options.

mainlyfats

sorry my bad, haven't paid attention to serial number. Indeed according to SN it is a M frame.

It is definitely not a basket case. It's a very nice frame with original fork, I would restore it. If I didn't have enough of it...:rolleyes:

I'm not sure how much you would pay where you are for the necessary repairs, but - having done something quite similar a few years ago - I can tell you that a seat-tube repair and repaint by someone worthy of the job cost me just over $700 in Canada.

In this case, you can add remove the seat brazed-on seat collar and rack mounts to the bill.

Bike doesn't fit + that much money = basketcase in my books.

colker

I'm not sure how much you would pay where you are for the necessary repairs, but - having done something quite similar a few years ago - I can tell you that a seat-tube repair and repaint by someone worthy of the job cost me just over $700 in Canada.

In this case, you can add remove the seat brazed-on seat collar and rack mounts to the bill.

Bike doesn't fit + that much money = basketcase in my books.

Lesson hard learned (you are not the only one)> always buy something w/ good paint, no rust and as built as can be. whatever it costs.. it's cheaper.

jjb

I've decided this bike has to go - or at least the frame and forks. I want to swap it for a bigger frame. Have a look on retrobike for my post, under USA sellers. WD Pro, I gave you first dibs on the forks - do you want to make me an offer?

RobTu

I could use a beater/commuter frame, and have a Bontrager Privateer frame that is in great condition, with a fresh paint job (Red), that is too large for me, (well not too large, since I can ride just about anything...it seems), but yeah, if you want to swap frame for frame, I'd be willing. The Bontrager frame has a 1" head tube, so you would be able to use your same headset.

The fork should fetch you a nice amount of cash, to put towards a proper Yo Eddy project.

If we do it, I won't be fixing the crack; I'll be shimming it; building it up, and ridding it to work, everyday...maybe hit a few local trails coming back from work, to blow off steam :cool: