94 SAB "P" serial

aron

I have a 94 shock a billy and the serial number has a p where the usual "b" would be. Anyone know what the reason is for this??
Note: on the mombat serial number cypher they have a p (94) one and a b (93) one so it's not obviously the only one or anything. Just wondering if all 94s are like this.
Thanks everyone.

I-ROBOT

Not really sure on this one. Only things I can think of are it stood for prototype or whoever stamped the BB did not properly strike the B and it came out like a P.

Ah the mysteries of Fat life
Scott

aron

Thanks scott. I'm super confident it's not a mis stamp as its clear and uniform on depth which is fairly deep for a fat. Now the zero (1st number) could have used another strike. Someone else said prototype too. I just don't want to say that if it's not true. I appreciate your help on this. If it is a prototype I'd like to know in what respect it's different. Can I send you some pics??

I-ROBOT

Hi Aron

The '94 could have been a prototype since we were developing our own rear suspension. The first couple of years, the Shock-a-Billy used the AMP Research rear suspension unit which was made out of aluminum and we wanted to build a better chrome-moly unit with our own spin on the design. I really don't know how many were made with the Fat design or how long they continued to build it in NY.

I would like to see the bike some time. Send me a PM
Scott

Retro Dude

Here's a list of SAB serial numbers, all are "P" prior to the NY move.

Attachments

• SAB serial numbers.jpg
    SAB serial numbers.jpg
    28 KB · Views: 21

aron

Thanks retro dude. Can I ask where the info came from, I'd like to check it out if I could. Not because I doubt it but because mombat has a 93 which is recorded as a b serial number which im now wondering if may be a typo and Greg said serial numbers were only recorded up until 93 so I'd like to see what else that site (?) Can offer for info. Thanks