Interesting find

SlimFast

I found this cafepress.com web site around Christmas and purchased a bunch of great gifts of off the site. I was cruising around their today and stumbled apon these, http://www.cafepress.com/ctrl_x, I am pretty sure they are not real, but they may be worth a shot.

Last edited:

cramp&goslow

I bought one of the ash grey T shirts it has Fat City Cycles on the back. The printing is black & grey. The print quality is good on a good quality Haines Tee shirt. Shipping is super fast.
I would buy a long sleeve version if it was offered.

Mick

Yo Eddy!

Of what is currently offered I feel the Hoody comes closest to what FAT stands for

44784579_F_tn.jpg

Nevertheless logos are really tidy centered in the middle (to tidy?) and I feel it should do better in Team Violet, Grello, Aquafade or -even better- a combination of those three
biggrin.gif

44784579_B_tn.jpg

Hmmmm..... remember having seen it before

Doug Carter

Staff member
Isn't CTRL-X the same guy who was selling the repro Fat decals on eBay for like $45 a pop? It costs me like 35

Doug Carter

Staff member
No one "owns" the legal rights to the logos or names. Check it out for yourself in the US Registry of Patents and Trademarks. All of the trademarks for Fat have expired. They are essentially public domain. Some of them, like BuckShaver or Wicked Lite, never really existed in the first place.

You can sell anything you want with the logos on them, really. Wendyl has remaining stock of old factory decal sheets and sells them to those who need them. It's not a business, she doesn't need to own the naming rights. Obviously, she would like to protect the integrety of the original brand, but considering the company has been defunct for over 5 years, it's tough to fight the branding fight for a company that will never exist again and makes no profits. Then again, I don't think anyone selling decals or shirts is out to retire on their income from the sales, and I also dont think anyone is out to ruin the name of our beloved Fat City Cycles.

I'm surprised the clothing on Cafe Press was taken down. They have just as much legitimate right to sell that stuff as Wendyl, Chris or anyone else at this point. Sometimes, an intimdating and threatening e-mail can make people do things before they know all of the facts. There is someone who sells the Yo logo every once in a while in black on eBay (they are repros, just like mine), and they sell for a ridiculous amount. They are perfectly legitimate to sell, even though the seller never mentions the fact that they aren't originals.

Frankly, it's a sad thing that the trade names have expired. It honestly means that there is no interest from Chris to ever restore the company.

doug

Doug Carter

Staff member
LOL.

I think that little legal issue would be called fraud and misrepresentation. Don't bend over for the soap, Melvin. :D

Yo Eddy!

You are right. It has to be 'all new 2006 Fat Chance Yo Eddy'

Hope the buyers will not list their bikes overhere and ask us questions on how to lower seat and such....

cramp&goslow

Trademark

Doug,

I guess what you mean is that the Fat logo/trademark was abandoned. From what I read as long as you maintain the trademark it's yours. It's a shame Chris or Wendyl didn't maintain the business name. It's not a huge yearly fee. With the prices being gotten on e-bay for original swag they could run a little cottage industry. A couple of forks and hoodies a week.

I didn't mean to have my question sound derogatory towards Wendyl. It's very nice of her to attend to all of us. When I read she no longer owned the logo I thought it had been purchased by someone else.

Mick

Doug Carter

Staff member
Yes, it really is too bad that something couldn't have been done to maintain the mystique, but then again, maybe that adds to it in some way.

d

Yo Eddy!

Maybe the board should buy it to prevent bicycles like the above appearing.... and we can also have our vote in details and FAT-likeness in everyting that is issued