FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old September 2nd, 2005, 1:38 PM   #1
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Default Maillard freewill

Maillard freewheel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are Sachs Maillard freelwheels the same as just Maillard?

Do they still make new ones or are they strictly NOS?

Am I confusing the terms freewill with cassette?
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2005, 8:45 AM   #2
mainlyfats

Default Maybe...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fat-tony
Maillard freewheel

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Are Sachs Maillard freelwheels the same as just Maillard?

Do they still make new ones or are they strictly NOS?

Am I confusing the terms freewill with cassette?
SACHS-MAILLARD is what you're after, just plain Maillard only go up to 6 spd if memory serves. Watch out on eBay though, because a lot of bike folk - like me - leave out the Sachs part.

This is one: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Sachs-Maillard-8-...QQcmdZViewItem It will outlast 2 or 3 cheap Shimano cassettes, so think about that if you bid. I certainly wouldn't hestitate to pay $80 for it.

The extra good thing is that you can score some awesome freewheel - sometimes also called thread-on - 135mm hubs for super cheap these days because people aren't into "old tech". Phil Wood man, Phil Wood... Hubs for life. They go for less a $100 on eBay. Check this out: http://cgi.ebay.ca/BULLSEYE-HUB-GREA...QQcmdZViewItem These are great hubs, too and Bullsesye is still around, so you could get a front made to match. Their prices are really reasonable and they're made in the USA.

I think they are only available NOS - Sachs has had so many takeovers and mergers since those days, and I don't think they support freewheel hubs anymore - Sachs/SRAM certainly doesn't make one. Check your LBS though - especially that really old one every town seems to have that doesn't ever know what they have - they may have a shelf of them. Let me know if you find a treasure trove, I'll take two.

A freewheel has the mechanism that engages the cogs as a part of the cogset, a cassette is just cogs that attach to a hub with the mechanism to engage build into it.

I had another thought about your stem - One-Off Ti by Mike Augspurger. SO NICE! There are bunch of NOS Salsa's up at the moment on eBay - I'm looking for one of my bikes, too - from that ex-rep. in Australia. Time capsule bits and well worth the $40.

P.S. Check this out: http://cgi.ebay.ca/Campag-Mountain-T...QQcmdZViewItem Tempted?

Last edited by 10thAnniversaryFat; September 3rd, 2005 at 9:06 AM.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4th, 2005, 2:45 PM   #3
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Default freewill

Thanks for your information. I tried for the Sachs Maillard freewill but lost. I couldn't stand by at the computer because of going out of town, so I placed my high bid and gambled. Someone sniped it for $92 bucks.
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote