Vicious Wicked Fat repaint

cruzmissle

[Apologies for those who have already seen this post on MTBR]

I can't imagine that the history is all that interesting, but here it is anyway (at least a brief version): Back in the summer of '90 I lived incredibly frugally in order to save money to buy my fantasy ride, a Wicked Fat Chance. I remember jokingly trying to justify the then-absurd-seeming expense by telling myself that it was a bike I would ride for ten years. That turned out to be true, as it was my primary bicycle -- mountain bike racing, touring, epic vacations, groceries -- until I replaced it with a dualie in 2001.

For the last several years my pace of bicycle accumulation has increased, but I haven't been able to shake the nostalgic soft spot that I have for the old Fat. From 2001-2004 it was seeing duty only as a touring bike and the bike I would ride off-road when friends borrowed my more modern rides (it was interesting how, on those rides, I'd have more fun than I was having on the Blur). Last summer I became interested in singlespeeding, and my attention was naturally drawn to the Wicked. I had an ENO hubbed rear wheel built up and started riding single speed basically full time. The ancient steel rig behaved so well, was so familiar, was so reassuring, and generated grins so reliably, that there looks to be no turning back.

The thing is, by six months ago the Wicked was looking pretty worn. The original Blue/Purple fade was long gone, replaced by an inexpensive powdercoat done in the middle 90's. In the grip of enthusiasm, I decided to have it repainted. Having long admired his work and having met Carl of Vicious Cycles, I sent it to him in February. My giddy request: Holstein Cow. You'll recall that this paint scheme had a kind of cult following in the late 80's by some New Englanders and Colorado folks, and I always envied them.

I just got the bike back (quality takes time, I gather) and I'm ecstatic beyond good sense. In my view, Carl did an incredible job, from the spots to the udder to the glossy lustre to the decal set. Rather than go for a restoration, I have a Mavic cartridge bb, ENO ss crankset, carbon bars and other modern bits to build it up with. The thing is, though, if it's built up, I might ride it, and it might get dirty, or, perish the thought, nicked. Oh, the quandry!

Cruzmissle

Attachments

• IMG_1155.jpg
    IMG_1155.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_1165.jpg
    IMG_1165.jpg
    70 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_1166.jpg
    IMG_1166.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1167.jpg
    IMG_1167.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_1171.jpg
    IMG_1171.jpg
    167.6 KB · Views: 110

John

Administrator
Staff member
Still love that paint scheme. What forks you going to be running on it? They spayed to match?

rick

Wicked

Great paint job, I would love to have one like that!

Did they recreate decals or are they vinyl or what?

Zook

The Udder Fade is Awesome... Vicious did a great job. You gotta ride that thing. Besides, you can always get it painted again...

Please post it again when you get it all built up.

-Z

cruzmissle

Thanks

Thanks for the kind words, all.

Rutteger -- Yeah, the original forks were painted to match. Sorry for not posting a pick.

Rick -- I'm not sure about the decals. When I first talked to him, Carl said he had a bunch of sets of decals that he got from Wendyl, but he feared that they were all white. Is there a straightforward way to tell whether they are reproductions?

Joe

Zook

I don't think they are vinyl Repros the little text around the FAT logos is to small for vinyl. Could still be water transfer printed. But if he says he got some from Wendyl they're probably original or at least half original. The little Don't Tread on Me is hard to reproduce. The Black Fat Chance is easy ot copy...

-Z

Doug Carter

Staff member
What an awesome repaint. It needs the special edition PINK hubs and headset from Chris King, white Onza bar ends plus a white Flite saddle.

WAAAAAAAAAAY cool.

rick

Vicious Fat

Joe,

I do not know how to tell if decals are reproductions, but if they are vinyl they will be noticably thicker. This is something that Doug knows more about than I do, although I did have vinyl repros put on one of my bikes when it was repainted.

Doug,

The pink King parts are so nice and would look great on this bike. I bought a pink headset for my wife's pink Yo Betty, but could not swing the $$$ for the pink hubs at the same time. Too bad.

John

Administrator
Staff member
Thought I'd drag this thread up because I love that paint scheme....

You ever get it built up cruzmissle ??

tangent

that's fab!

best fit a syncros cattleprod stem + steerhorn barends in order to guide it to the pastures...