FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > Builder's Corner

Builder's Corner Restoration and preservation. Keep them running in perfect shape. What size is your bottom bracket?

Old May 17th, 2005, 7:58 AM   #1
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Default hippie tech suspension

I have sent off fork for re-build. Anybody used the "hippie" before and how long did the job take? Were you satisfied?
fat-tony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 6:27 PM   #2
rick

Default Hippie Tech

I used Hippie Tech last year to re-build my Mag 21 SL Ti. He is not cheap ($100 including shipping), but he did a great job, took about a week as I recall.
He has a tremendous amount of knowledge and access to hard-to-find parts.
A good guy, I would certainly recommend him.
rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17th, 2005, 8:10 PM   #3
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Default hippie

Well, it has already been two weeks and I have barely heard from the guy. I am sure he does a good job. I guess I am just a bit impatience due to this being my first Yo and I am dying to ride the thing the way I want. He is probably a lot more busy at this time or something. I have found some trashy rigid forks out of a bin at a local shop with a 1" steerer to get me by in desperation, but it just isn't the same as having a nice suspension fork or an original big Yo fork.
Old May 24th, 2005, 5:54 PM   #4
kuna26

Default Hippie Tech

Yeah, he is a great guy, recommended my Mountain Bike Action, Rock Shox, etc. I live in Boise and have had him work on many of my forks, not cheap, but does a great job, and has hard to find parts. He is a small operation and he is very detailed about his work. It is hard to wait, I understand.

He rebuilt a 97 judy SL for me, but did a twist and pulled the internals and leg seals, and replaced with Sid's, it still looks stock, but is now an open bath oil fork with added travel. It rides so sweet now!
kuna26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 7th, 2005, 10:35 PM   #5
Lowrider

Hippie Tech rulez,... i got a envelope full with stickers from him in every size two years ago, after the LasVegas show. I contact him about spare parts for manitou 1 forks. at this time, he was very helpfull and correct.

i lost the email from him, can somebody send me his address? i am looking for a Mountain Spring Speed Springs kit for a Manitou 1/2. Or somebody has some Springs for sale? Thnks in advance for your help

regards from a Swiss FATFANATIC

Lowrider
Lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2005, 9:05 AM   #6
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Default hippie tech

It's been 4 weeks and I still don't know what the hell is going on with my fork. I can't get the guy to really resond back to me so that I can make a decision. Hope you have better luck.

http://www.hippiesuspension.com
Old June 8th, 2005, 10:36 AM   #7
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Default karma = heard back from "The Hippie"

Just received the call I have been waiting for. My SID forks are basically non re-buildable. Too much damage. He is custom building me a SID fork with NOS Rock Shox 1998 parts with 1" threadless steerer and new inners. Fork should be complete by this Friday and shipped to me. I will post more once I receive it back.
Old July 1st, 2005, 11:04 AM   #8
fat-tony
Global Moderator

Default New NOS Rock Shox

Fork is Sweet!
Fork is a combo of the best available parts from model years 1998-2003. 63mm of travel with an aluminum 1" steerer. All NOS parts. He used the most updated and best quality parts from each of the model years with new internals. Fork weighs 2.55 lbs. I rode 17 miles of singletrack on it yesterday and was in heaven. It was expensive, but I wanted a new fork. Photo shows setup with a quick fix cable hanger so I could run cantilever brakes with it. I will later change to V brakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0020.jpg (160.9 KB, 23 views)