dream bike

fat-tony

Staff member
Okay, you just got your 1993 yo eddy back from being re-sprayed. It now has new decals, new toothpik device and even new seat tube seal. It is now brand spanking new. You want to put modern day components (no disc brakes) on it though. :)

Your list would be?

Yeah, the 900 XTR stuff is sweet. However you can't ride an old YO! without some anodized Ringle stuff and maybe some trick levers and a set of tri-align cantis! Gotta get that retro look with some color!

fat-tony

Staff member
I am not really going to go the route of NOS, but I am going to try and find components that are new today, but have a connection to the past, like Chris King, Paul's, Mavic, etc as an example. Any other suggestions?

visitor

My YO is a work in progress. It is at Vicious cycles getting some fresh paint. I plan on mixing and matching older and newer parts. Got a classic flite saddle , threaded zocchi fork, salsa stem, ringle mobe seat post, newer mavic rims with chris king hubs, XTR/XT drivetrain, Easton Carbon bars and some eggbeater pedals. Also got the frame with a more modern looking paint job, not a classic fat paint job. I am planning on riding this bike and the parts will be ever changing. If I start riding it less or retire it I'll get it repainted a classic FAT paint job and maybe make it up with some more retro parts that I use to use when I was a wee lad.

visitor

Forgot to mention - my dream FAT has always been to finally own A dream fat and ride the damn thing! Isn't that really the dream?

mainlyfats

Rebuild

fat-tony said:
I am not really going to go the route of NOS, but I am going to try and find components that are new today, but have a connection to the past, like Chris King, Paul's, Mavic, etc as an example. Any other suggestions?

I'm a huge fan of Phil Wood stuff. I'd go for the hubs and bb from them. The only thing possibly a little cooler - in my opinion - would be a full Mavic build - including those awesome shifters.

But man - a nice set of Phils with a 7 or 8 spd NOS Maillard freewheel and some XT thumbies - sex on wheels!

Another super cool thing you might look into is a cool stem. You can get a lugged Nitto stem in 25.4 from Rivendell that will outlive us all. If money's no object - a Potts stem. Steve Potts is on the web - google him.

fat-tony

Staff member
Maillard freewheel

Are Sachs Maillard freelwheels the same as just Maillard? Do they still make new ones are are they strctly NOS? The Phil Woods stuffs looks like "butter"! Thanks

I suppose ill get flamed to bits here! but here goes...

my Fat was bought to do well racing... to do this she needed to be in tip top form... the componetry that i chose reflected this... :) i had a fairly unlimited budget for this and the following build is almost my Dream Work Bike (onyl thing missing is the Crossmax Rear wheel! and Ti Syncros instead of alu)

transmission - Full 9 speed XTR, STI, V-brakes, Flight Deck, chris King
controls - Syncros
saddle - Ti flite
wheels - Mavic Cross Max

now... if the bike was a museum piece... things would be a little different... id have the Ringle stem, Cook bros cranks, XT thumbies, Pauls mechs, brakes and canties.... :)

but i do like to go out and play... :D so utilitarian comes before pretty...!!!

Spikes

something like this?

Headset: Chris King NoThreadSet w/ Campagnolo Record cap (10 g) 119 g
Headset Spacers: Woodman Carbon (10 and 12 mm) 10 g
Stem: Extralite UltraStem, Ti bolts 109 g
Handlebar: Easton EC90 3

lucifer

Avid ultimate V- brakes and levers.
Ringle zooka stem and moby deuce post.
Flite saddle
Hope skewers and seat binder.
Ringle or king hubs Wheelsmith DB14 spokes mavic rims
King headset
Race face turbine cranks and BB in square taper.
8spd xtr cogs & derailleurs.
Gripshift or xtr triggers
Onza porcs.

fat-tony

Staff member
Keep it coming COGS: I appreciate the input and i am getting some great ideas. Stripped my Yo down today to get it ready for the re-spray. Moved everything over to my beater KHS Montana Pro FZ frame from 1993. If I could just get my decals in, I would be set.

Peace