Busted Ti Fat

Mike P.

Hi, I'm not a regular here, but I own an old Ti Fat and I'm looking for some advice. I've ridden it like crazy for the last fifteen years or so, and finally cracked the weld between the down tube and the head tube. I'd really like to get this thing running again, because I'm pretty attached to it. Can anyone recommend a good ti frame welder who's not terribly expensive? I'm not a purist or anything, I don't need the original head tube (I really wouldn't mind getting a 1 1/8" head tube in place of the old one, if it's not expensive, or at least get a gusset welded on so it doesn't crack again)

jesse

don't go cheap. those frames were $2300 new, and some go for almost that much used. one crappy repair job and it won't be worth anything.

rody at groovy cycles works in steel and ti and it a fat fanatic (he produces fat replica stickers for restorations). i don't know if his schedule allows for repair work right now but i think he's on the forum. i'm waiting for a frame from steve potts whose repair work is absolutely incredible but he's also pretty busy so getting him to do the work wouldn't be cheap or necessarily fast. independent fabrication was started by ex fat employees but all but one of them are gone now, and i don't think they do repair work regularly (if at all).

good luck. ti fats are great bikes. i'll be selling mine sometime soon and even though she fits me poorly i'll be very sad to see her go.

Mike P.

Jesse,
Thanks for the advice. I'd probably never sell this thing, but I'm sure you're right about not going cheap.

bonsaii

If you do the 1 1/8" conversion, I could be interested in the old 1" headtube...

Mabye you could post some pictures of the situation?

Good luck on the repair!

-bns

I-ROBOT

Hello Mike P

I would be interested in seeing pictures of the crack. This is the first I've heard of a TI failure in that area - although there probably have been others.

Since the frames are not heat-treated after welding, any competent welding shop that can work in TI could do the repair. Make sure to tell them to use 6AL-4V ELI filler wire when the repair weld is made. DO NOT LET THEM USE CP TITANIUM FILLER!!!!!!!!!! Pay extra for the 6-4 wire if you have to.

I would not recommend trying to change out the head tube. That would have to be done by an experienced TI frame builder who has a frame jig and who has the ability to make a head tube with a similar design.

A proper weld repair should last for quite a long time and you would not be sacrificing any collectible value should you think about parting with it.

Take some photos and show me what's going on.

Thanks
Scott Bengtson

Mike P.

Wow, thanks for all the answers. If I get the headtube conversion I'll definitely let you know, bonsail. And Scott, I'd put some pictures up, but I don't have a digital camera. I can tell you, though, I think I got the crack from trying to learn how to do things the bike wasn't intended for. I honestly thought it was indestructible, and I rode it pretty hard for a long time. Thanks for the advice about the weld. That makes a lot of sense. I really appreciate all of your advice.

Best,
Mike