FatCogs Community Discussion Forums

Go Back   FatCogs Community Discussion Forums > Fat Chance Bicycles > General Fat Chance Discussion

General Fat Chance Discussion Anything and everything about the best mountain bikes ever made.

Old November 29th, 2018, 5:40 PM   #1
Vagante

Default Where is everyone?

I can't believe there are no more posts on this site then I see. When I joined it was cranking. Now it seems like a mortuary. Where is everyone? Where did they go? They certainly aren't selling their fats because I don't see many on the market. When I look at the last post dates it makes me so sad.
Vagante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2018, 11:54 AM   #2
Stingercut

Negative Politics creates apathy.
Stingercut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2018, 11:27 AM   #3
AB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingercut View Post
Negative Politics creates apathy.

Humm ... well said.

Still here just the seemingly endless rain here in the Mid-Atlantic (past 4 months) has put a damper on things also.

Happy Holidays!
AB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2018, 9:13 PM   #4
mainlyfats

I know it's not really helpful - and a bit whiny and negative - but I wonder a bit at how the roll-out of the New Fat Chance has influenced those that kept the fire burning all these years. How the new venture not only wasn't born from this site, but that we've yet to be meaningfully engaged by the parent company when so many of us have been consummate brand ambassadors. That anyone can buy a new Fat Chance now, that it's normal bike brand selling modern bikes, has perhaps taken some of the shine off this community of fetishists. It has made me at least, a bit sad and adopt a "get off my lawn" stance as I continue to admire old tech and workmanship.

I love the community aspect, though. I hope to keep on being a resource for folks who stumble upon an old mountain bike with bullet stays and end up here. If New Fat Chance fails and someone comes along to write a Harvard Business Review article on nostalgia marketing and the pitfalls of brand revival - well I guess I'll probably be around for that too.
mainlyfats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2018, 7:04 PM   #5
Stingercut

@ Mainlyfats, you make some good points. The artisan bike market is very crowded these days. Chris and his associates should maybe engage more with us. You can only get wistfully nostalgic for so long about such things I guess and there is mental scar tissue there of course. Plenty of ex FCC staffers pop up on FB and Insta to regale stories from back in the day. I enjoy reading them, despite a few prickly egos and the endless p1$$ing contest that is - whos got the most FB likes for their bike ?

A huge number of spin off companies and bike industry talents were spawned back in Somerville. There is a book in there somewhere but it will probably never be written. With the exception of maybe Raleigh, not many other bicycle companies have such a rich history or created such beautifully handmade bikes in their halcyon days.

Its tough for Chris. He has to make a living, control costs, yet produce bikes worthy of his legendary reputation and ALL at price people will pay, no easy task. Most of the modern generation have never heard of FAT CHANCE. They dont have the resources to make a big splash in the current crowded market. Which brings me back to the main point, which the best marques in the car industry ( Ferrari, Mercedes, Porsche, Jaguar etc ) do so well, engaging with their loyal customers and showcasing that Retro is ALWAYS COOL to the next generation. They focus on past race glories and iconic models. People get bored of modern clones, so its important to raise awareness of the amazing heritage of FAT CHANCE and its DNA that still runs in so many current knock-off bike designs.

Last edited by Stingercut; December 8th, 2018 at 9:55 PM.
Old December 7th, 2018, 7:19 PM   #6
Stingercut

Deleted.
Old December 14th, 2018, 12:53 PM   #7
AB

"People get bored of modern clones, so its important to raise awareness of the amazing heritage of FAT CHANCE and its DNA that still runs in so many current knock-off bike designs."

Very true - as far as marques go you could not do much better than Porsche will respect to racing, iconic brand recognition and engaging current buyers with their heritage.

Strangely I don't feel the need to purchase a new Fat.
AB is offline   Reply With Quote