A very interesting 1991 Wicked

mkozaczek

I was wondering if anyone could shine some light on a peculiar 1991 Wicked I came across:

So, 91 Wicked serial 0XXW18, but here is the interesting thing - box crown fork (team comp style) painted to match and original match for the frame and cable routing along the top tube (w/ a pulley for the front derailleur) - Yo Eddy style, pressed in style bottom bracket

So, it seems like some sort of strange mix of wicked / wicked lite / Yo Eddy...

chainline

I was wondering if anyone could shine some light on a peculiar 1991 Wicked I came across:

So, 91 Wicked serial 0XXW18, but here is the interesting thing - box crown fork (team comp style) painted to match and original match for the frame and cable routing along the top tube (w/ a pulley for the front derailleur) - Yo Eddy style, pressed in style bottom bracket

So, it seems like some sort of strange mix of wicked / wicked lite / Yo Eddy...

sounds like you have a wicked ser#with a heavy blend of team comp My question is. is the cable routing on the top tub stagerd ? which would indicate TC/ also what does the rear drop outs look like?

mkozaczek

Top tube cable routing is identical to my yo eddy, all cable stops on one piece.

Rear dropouts are shimano, just like on my regular 1990 Wicked. Shimano is stamped on the wheel mating surface not above it on the body of the dropout like the 1990 Wicked.

I'm guessing it was a custom ordered wicked lite with a pressed in BB.

I'll get it stripped down and weight it compared to my 18" 1990 regular wicked.

mkozaczek

Not that it means anything, but all of the hardware on the bike was Ti - BB spindle, water bottle bolts, rear brake bosses.

Also, it has a third set of water bottle bosses under the downtube.

rick

91 Wicked

91 would be too early for a Wicked Lite, not until 93. The box crown for was available as an option for many years, for any model I believe. The top tube routing on a regular Wicked would be a bit unusual, but once they started doing it on the YO (89) I could imagine that some folks asked for it as an option. I have one mid-late 80s bike that is set up for both top tube cable routing as well as under the BB cable routing. Everything seems to be original so I would guess that this was a special order. Also has box crown fork and roller cam brakes, so special order seems to make sense.

mkozaczek

I'm curious to see how much it weighs compared to my 1990 wicked. Both are the same size. The 91 frame "feels" lighter, but my hands are not really calibrated.

I noticed one more thing, the rear brake cable bridge on the 91 frame in question is much shorter, less pronounced that the one on the 90.

I-ROBOT

I believe all of those things listed were on our custom parts list in 1991. It's also possible that the bike came back to FC for some reason and was modified / upgraded. Most likely it was just a custom order for somebody who may have been thinking about touring on it. Are there fender and/or rack mounts on it too? Those were also available.

When I re-did my '87 Wicked, I did most all of those things with the exception of swapping my original box crown for a unicrown. My box crown was not gusseted like later ones and I was afraid of breaking it since I'm not a light-weight.

I used that frame to experiment with TIG brazing using silicon-bronze filler metal. I added my chin gusset, top tube cable guides, extra water bottle bosses and fender mounts using that process and it worked just fine. Not sure if I would recommend it for production, but it made for an interesting learning experience.

I also got a message while the site was down regarding decals for '85 models. I'm sorry but I have no idea about decals then and hardly any knowledge about them at all since I never was involved with that end of the production line - sorry

Scott

I believe all of those things listed were on our custom parts list in 1991. It's also possible that the bike came back to FC for some reason and was modified / upgraded. Most likely it was just a custom order for somebody who may have been thinking about touring on it. Are there fender and/or rack mounts on it too? Those were also available.

When I re-did my '87 Wicked, I did most all of those things with the exception of swapping my original box crown for a unicrown. My box crown was not gusseted like later ones and I was afraid of breaking it since I'm not a light-weight.

I used that frame to experiment with TIG brazing using silicon-bronze filler metal. I added my chin gusset, top tube cable guides, extra water bottle bosses and fender mounts using that process and it worked just fine. Not sure if I would recommend it for production, but it made for an interesting learning experience.

I also got a message while the site was down regarding decals for '85 models. I'm sorry but I have no idea about decals then and hardly any knowledge about them at all since I never was involved with that end of the production line - sorry

Scott

Scott...gotta say how much I enjoy when you post. Getting info from someone who was there at the time is awsome!

cheers,
Steve

mainlyfats

Scott...gotta say how much I enjoy when you post. Getting info from someone who was there at the time is awsome!

cheers,
Steve

+1

This - right here - is the promise of the internet for me. I can't tell you how much I get out of this forum in my daily work as a librarian.

Community - especially one that people feel invested in - is where it's at, IMHO.

Bssc

Defiantly sounds like a custom order I placed a few like that back in the day at NE Bikes . We had a few customers who ordered a new bike every year to add to their collections. or it could be a team rider who wanted it built that way a lot of odd bikes went to employees or team riders

mkozaczek

I think Scott's opinion is spot on. I weighed this frame against the other wicked I have and it was the same down to 0.01kg, so it appears to be a wicked not a wicked lite.

The TC fork is gussetted, so I'm guessing it is a later one.

So, just a cool custom ordered wicked... nice