Shifters gear question

smittylube

SO I have my old reliable 91 ish wicked with 6 speed 130 mm rear thumb sis index shimano shifters.

I am trying to put some new fancy light weight wheels on it and would love to update it. My rear tire /wheel with cassette or gears weighs 5 lbs. My front was swapped for a lighter road type of hub and 28 spoke - but is is shiny alum not black. I would like to get a nice pair and have it fit and be the same color front and back.

I also love the newer type of shifter- rapid fire? with the thumb and index finger levers below the grip.

If anyone has gone down this road can you give me some pointers and some direction or just hit me up side of the head and tell me to forget it.

Steve

smittylube

I just got off the phone with Chris King and found out the 'classic' 130 hub is built the same as the 135 just different spacing!

Now where do I find some gears and spacers ?

Steve

DC

Hey Steve,
Depending on the freehub body on the CKing rear hub, you should be able to run an 8 or nine speed casstte. The downside is a weaker rear wheel due to the amount of dish (offset) required for the cassette. I'm running a 135 rear hub on an old 130mm spaced Bridgestone, it fits, but you have to 'flex' the stays to get it in there. This setup will give you a stronger rear wheel and I think the skinnier stays of a Wicked would have enough flex to make it do-able.
The King hubs are sweet, but if you want to stay with the 130mm spacing, any modern ROAD hub will do.
peace
DC

smittylube

Thanks- I dont want to or need to go 8 speed, 7 ok but I still would like to use the index shifter or get a new fangled one.

I just spoke w white ind. & they say it would fit (135 hub) just by changing the left side of the axle portion and turn it into a 130. I still need to confirm this but Thanks a bunch..
I tried to spread the rear stays, but they are nice and strong for sure and if I can get a 130 I will try to go that route.

I'll let you know how it goes

Steve

smittylube

I have the wheels coming 'White Industries Ti/Mavic 117/DT/3DV Purple Nipples!" from settemarche

My LBS buddy says exactly what other have said with creative spacing it should work fine..
I still wnt to use the index or sis shifting.. I will report back on weight saving and some pics when things get done.

Steve

DC

Sounds good, Steve. When you change the left side spacer, you will probably need to re-dish the wheel (to put the rim in the center again). I'm sure your LBS buddy can get you set up. Those wheels will ride great!

Jeeves

You want fancy? Here's fancy: Jeff Jones modified 6-speed rear cassette that threads onto a Chris King Singlespeed hub. :) Looks like a cool mod to me. . . and he claims to have a dishless wheel build.

http://www.jonesbikes.com/shop.html (the wheel is the next-to-last thing on that page).

-Raj

smittylube

Sounds good, Steve. When you change the left side spacer, you will probably need to re-dish the wheel (to put the rim in the center again). I'm sure your LBS buddy can get you set up. Those wheels will ride great!

Yes I did forget to mention, but minor details... I am sure I will be stoked.. I spent some time at my buddies LBS and we found a 13 for the outer gear.. Should be no problem (I hope) I have 6 speed now, I still wonder if I should go with under bar shifters- 7 or 8 speed, My current is only 6..

Steve

smittylube

You want fancy? Here's fancy: Jeff Jones modified 6-speed rear cassette that threads onto a Chris King Singlespeed hub. :) Looks like a cool mod to me. . . and he claims to have a dishless wheel build.

http://www.jonesbikes.com/shop.html (the wheel is the next-to-last thing on that page).

-Raj

Wow- sounds great and looks great.. Only thing is it is almost the price of the wheel set.

From what I have found out this set I bought from Jeff is stronger than what I have now. That held up for 17 years :)

Steve