Rebuild of a mid 90s Rock Shox Judy SL

Gotlime?

I am the original owner of a 1995 medium Yo! It's aquamarine fade and I believe it may be one of the last bikes to come out of MA. The build sheet had some disparaging comments about Chris!!

When I built it, I had a Manitou 2 on it. I think maybe a year later I upgraded to a Rock Shox Judy SL (the yellow one).

I'd like to rebuild the bike and start riding the it again.

What are my choices for rebuilding the fork?

Are original parts available? Aftermarket upgrades?

pretend I know nothing.....................cause I don't.

mainlyfats

I am the original owner of a 1995 medium Yo! It's aquamarine fade and I believe it may be one of the last bikes to come out of MA. The build sheet had some disparaging comments about Chris!!

When I built it, I had a Manitou 2 on it. I think maybe a year later I upgraded to a Rock Shox Judy SL (the yellow one).

I wouldn't try and do too much if you don't have the knowledge or tools. I could be mistaken, but I think the simple drop in Englund kits are quite rare now.

Heard good things about:

http://shockspital.com/

Hear lots of mixed things about:

http://www.hippiesuspension.com/Hippie_Tech_Suspension/Home.html

If you're not really committed to suspension, Igleheart http://iglebike.com/ could build you a nice fork that will never go out of date, or have to be re-built for as long as you own it.

WVEddy

some of the older elastomer forks are super easy to rebuild. If you have the manual or find it online, you should be able to get it back together. the seals and bushings might be tough to source. most dampeners are a series of orings. be prepared for some creativity and hunting to find parts. if you have the pinch crown, you can do the franken'sid concept. that would be cool.

I used to scared of fork rebuilding, until i did it.

http://www.suspensionforkparts.net/eshop/index.php?_a=viewCat&catId=9

Gotlime?

Thanks WVEddy. That's a helpful link. First order of business is to figure out what year the fork is.

Where in NC are you located? I'm in Mooresville. Between Charlotte and Statesville.

fat-tony

Staff member
Thanks WVEddy. That's a helpful link. First order of business is to figure out what year the fork is.

Where in NC are you located? I'm in Mooresville. Between Charlotte and Statesville.

Since you're close to Statesville, maybe the fine folks at First Flight Bikes could help you out.

Gotlime?

Since you're close to Statesville, maybe the fine folks at First Flight Bikes could help you out.

Yeah. I may go up there this weekend and see what they say. It's nice having them, literally, right up the street.

Maybe that will motivate me to get the bike off the wall, assess things, get the serial #, take some pics, etc.

WVEddy

I am up in Winston. We should rally a ride at lake Norman state park or dark mountain, if my fat ever gets back together that is. First flight could probably fix your fork right up or might even have another. There is also a guy on eBay that refurbs older bombers and will put a 1 in steer in it for you. I think they were around $200 or something. The old bombers are easy to rebuild and parts are still around, better than rockshox and answer. My fat has never been fully rigid, and never will be. :D

Gotlime?

It looks like I need a new rebound cartridge (no rebound at all) but I can't seem to find one or an upgrade kit.