Trouble w/ adjusting xc pro canti brakes.

colker

When i tighten the allen bolt to the brake studs, i stiffen everything to the point of no movement.
I can´t find an exploded diagram on line but i am almost sure i have all the parts here. But... who knows?
I have the same trouble on both front brakes and i i will have the same if i try the pair on the rear.
There is a metal sleeve which goes first over the studs and under the brake arm. Then the spring: it has a tip that fits a tiny hole on the arm, a plastic washer holds the spring wby the same tip and then a metal cap fits over the plastic holding the other tip. An allen bolt goes on the cap and tightens against the stud. On all four brakes. I can´t see how i could reverse any of those parts except for the spring and i already tried that.

Any help?

mainlyfats

When i tighten the allen bolt to the brake studs, i stiffen everything to the point of no movement.
I can´t find an exploded diagram on line but i am almost sure i have all the parts here. But... who knows?
I have the same trouble on both front brakes and i i will have the same if i try the pair on the rear.
There is a metal sleeve which goes first over the studs and under the brake arm. Then the spring: it has a tip that fits a tiny hole on the arm, a plastic washer holds the spring wby the same tip and then a metal cap fits over the plastic holding the other tip. An allen bolt goes on the cap and tightens against the stud. On all four brakes. I can´t see how i could reverse any of those parts except for the spring and i already tried that.

Any help?

Sounds like perhaps the wrong size washers on the brake bolt..? If your washers are too large they can compress the whole assembly, rather than simply holding it together.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that perhaps your brake posts were filed a touch shorter to provide a slop-free fit and maybe the Suntours need every millimeter.

colker

Sounds like perhaps the wrong size washers on the brake bolt..? If your washers are too large they can compress the whole assembly, rather than simply holding it together.

The only other thing that comes to mind is that perhaps your brake posts were filed a touch shorter to provide a slop-free fit and maybe the Suntours need every millimeter.

Those same brakes were on the same fork before. I didn´t install them though. Neither removed.

mainlyfats

Those same brakes were on the same fork before. I didn´t install them though. Neither removed.

Weird. I guess you could install with Loctite on the bolt then. Get the bolt to where it's snug, but not binding and let the Loctite set.

colker

Weird. I guess you could install with Loctite on the bolt then. Get the bolt to where it's snug, but not binding and let the Loctite set.

Found out what the trouble is.. There is a small washer that goes inside the top cap. I found one of them. The other three are gone. It fits snugly. Probably a proprietary part.. so i am screwed. No wonder these brakes are not very popular.

colker

I found some washers at the hardware store. Almost the same size. Flexible zinc prone to rust but managed to rebuild the brakes. They are solid. I am happy now.

EDIT: There is no exploded diagram of these brakes on line. Someone should scan the instructions of the 93 xc pro and publish on line, somewhere.
Once those washers leave their place, no one can figure out how to rebuild them. If i had seen the diagram somewhere i would have saved some time. Not to mention.. i would not have lost them in the first place.