Value Appreciating?

Jassie06

So would my 1988 Team Comp have appreciated or depreciated since I bought it new?
Custom factory paint and hand picked top notch components chosen to control weight.
My knee is getting wobbly and I am contemplating the Team's destiny.

333ia06.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00056.JPG
    IMG00056.JPG
    177.1 KB · Views: 68
  • FatChance 002.jpg
    FatChance 002.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG00057.JPG
    IMG00057.JPG
    153.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Scanner027.jpg
    Scanner027.jpg
    478.9 KB · Views: 63
Last edited:

mainlyfats

Depreciated.

That's a great bike - the box crown fork is an asset for sure - and I'd expect you to move it for $900-$1200.

Jassie06

Depreciated.

That's a great bike - the box crown fork is an asset for sure - and I'd expect you to move it for $900-$1200.

Thanks for the input.

Paint was custom with only one other like it at the time.

Total build out cost was about 5x that guestimate.

That amount would certainly not motivate to move it out of the family before the reading of the will.....

Last edited:

mainlyfats

Thanks for the input.

Paint was custom with only one other like it.

That amount would certainly not motivate to move it out of the family before the reading of the will.....

It is one of the finest steel mountain bikes ever built. I've had two. If I recall correctly the other one painted like yours is owned by a bike store guy in upstate New York.

If your knee isn't working well, maybe switch to flat pedals and continue to enjoy it.

Stingercut

Thanks for the input.

Paint was custom with only one other like it.

Well said :beer: I would NEVER sell my first FAT, my 89 TC. They were absolute top dollar bitd and are still amazing to ride today. Your Prestige Box Crown fork alone is easily worth $1000 as its such a rare desirable item. Good advice from Mainlyfats about the flat pedals. Hoping you continue to ride on in good health :beer::beer:

Jassie06

It is one of the finest steel mountain bikes ever built. I've had two. If I recall correctly the other one painted like yours is owned by a bike store guy in upstate New York.

If your knee isn't working well, maybe switch to flat pedals and continue to enjoy it.

I still love it. For several years it was a bit quick handling and reminded me of that.

It's better than my Mountain Klein and possibly the Ellsworth in a different way.

At the time I was told by the shop that the only other bike with the paint job was Chris Chance's, but much time has passed and all things change.

I'll give your advice on the pedals some thought.

I-ROBOT

That paint job is the sunburst fade. Your '88 is probably one of the first ones to have it.
Enjoy
Scott

Jassie06

That paint job is the sunburst fade. Your '88 is probably one of the first ones to have it.
Enjoy
Scott

Thanks Scott.

Actually I asked for a Sunset and the reply was "how about this?"
I wonder if the request was the chicken or the egg.

Z

Last edited:

zonq

So would my '08 Team Comp have appreciated or depreciated since I bought it new?
Custom factory paint and hand picked top notch components chosen to control weight.
My knee is getting wobbly and I am contemplating the Team's destiny.

333ia06.jpg

Your bike is what made me consider a pre-1992 Fat of my own. That thing, and in that color, is perfect. I can only hope if you sell it, it makes its way to Crested Butte, where it can spend sunny days cruising the footpaths between the bakery and the hardware store with a front rack full of wildflowers, putting a smile on everyone’s face who sees it and remembers.

Jassie06

I can only hope if you sell it, it makes its way to Crested Butte, where it can spend sunny days cruising the footpaths between the bakery and the hardware store with a front rack full of wildflowers, putting a smile on everyone’s face who sees it and remembers.

Jeez, you make me want to ride the rainbow bridge there.

Jassie06

Originally titling of the thread as '08 makes me think the rainbow bridge is closer than I thought.

It's a 1988.

Last edited:

AB

Jassie06 if you are considering selling I would be willing to make you an offer that may work for you. Just something to keep in mind.

AB

I think there are only a few things that would appreciate in value, but I honestly feel like my Fat truly appreciated or stayed the same. The joy I have gotten from riding my bike over the years are more than enough to put a smile on my face to know that I value my Fat more than any other. I just hope I can pass it on to someone deserving when I can no longer ride!

Jassie06

Still have it and contemplating our future now that one hand is not appreciating pressure on the palm. Seems like the Fat will outlast me, but that's the way it's supposed to be preserving vintage things.

I feel like vintage MTB peaked in the late 1990's, so getting the '89 retail price today is kinda good. I'd consider selling my full-custom '89 Wicked but dollar-wise I'd be better off parting it out.

I-ROBOT

Thanks for posting the photo of the hang tag!
From top to bottom: The red squiggly signature - Wendyll Behrend, wife of Chris Chance and co-owner of Fat City Cycles; KUBY - Alison Kuby - worked in finishing and did brazing and some welding. She was an amazing metal artist and left FCC to move to Chicago to attend an art school. In 1992, I went to Chicago for the Welding Show (my badge is my profile pic) and, on a whim, looked her up and as fate would have it, they were having an exhibition and I got to go to that as well. MP with the star around it - Mike Pappaconstantine - the creator of Yo Eddy, worked in finishing and brazing, pro class MTB racer, artist and all-around great guy. Jeff - Jeff Buchholz - worked in finishing, dedicated bike guy who went on to be one of the founders of Independent Fabrication. To the right of Jeff, sorry I can't make it out. We had some kids that came and went fairly quickly in those days and I just don't remember all of them. HOSS - the amazing Hoss Rogers, painter. He came up with the harlequin paint job and several other paint schemes that continued after he left. I believe he is in Taos, NM and produces custom jewelry and other fine art works. He did the first paint job on my Wicked. BOB with the X - Bob Fulk - worked in finishing and brazing, also raced in the pro class and, I believe, he was involved with the establishment of NEMBA - New England Mountain Bike Association - which is still going strong today. There is a sideways signature next to BOB but I cannot make out who it is. YEA! - sorry , no idea. The AWS QC1 stamp - I think you all know that guy ;) I welded most, if not all, of the Team Comp frames and many of the early box crown forks. Chris Igleheart took over fork production for a while after I taught him how to TIG weld.
The signature directly below my stamp - Debbie Nadolney - she worked in assembly, shipping, and sales - simply one of the finest human beings that I have had the privilege of working with.

And that is your Fat City Cycles history lesson for the day
Enjoy
Scott