New BB alternative

mainlyfats

I've been using a Mavic BB for ages in my Fat singlespeed because of an ill-advised - and beer soaked - attempt at threading the shell. It's a really smooth, adjustable and super solid alternative; mine's going on 10 years of use without servicing.

The thing is, you're supposed to chamfer the shell to accept the Mavic lockrings and, although I never have without issue, I always thought it was a little ghetto not to have done.

Well looky looky what I just bought: a Stronglight 700a. Made by the same folk who make the Mavic, but with normal lockrings. I've installed it and run it and it's perfect.

Drawback is it's only available in 118mm in North America (although maybe Yo Eddy! could find a Euro source by searching in Dutch or German). For me and my singlespeed, it's total perfection: low Q factor and adjustable chainline. For anyone running 3 rings, it might be a little tight.

Anyway - Mel Pinto imports has them in stock. Here's a pic:

Attachments

• SL_700A_118_BSA.JPG
    SL_700A_118_BSA.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 11

Yo Eddy!

Took a look at the Mel Pinto site. He has some nice stuff. He also stocks XC Pro bb for example. Enjoyed seeing the Alans. Remembers me a crosser is making its way to me now. Record, MAFAC... really looking forward. Also see he stocks the alu/ti frames. Makes me think I didn't buy one with full Cyclone that I saw offered for 170 euros asking last year. Man, how stupid :mad:

bushpig

The earlier Mavic BB's used the same mechanism, but moved to chamfering. Go ahead and chamfer, you'll like it ;)