O NO IT FU****g HAPPENED AGAIN

paul m

I give up,never will i own another fat i owned my monster for 15 years and the seat tube rusted away,
Now after buying my yo eddy about a year ago, getting it sprayed,(the wrong colour)waiting for decals(thanks mate, think i will need more) it`s happened again.
I never saw it after blasting but it must have been noticable a hole and a crack at the bottem of the tube f**k f**k f**k:mad:
so i`m gonna sell up any one fancy it before it`s repaired email me, but I`ll repair it over the autumn/winter and sell it,

Think I`ll buy a pace

Attachments

• YOEDDY 001.jpg
    YOEDDY 001.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 56
  • YOEDDY 002.jpg
    YOEDDY 002.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 41

colker

I give up,never will i own another fat i owned my monster for 15 years and the seat tube rusted away,
Now after buying my yo eddy about a year ago, getting it sprayed,(the wrong colour)waiting for decals(thanks mate, think i will need more) it`s happened again.
I never saw it after blasting but it must have been noticable a hole and a crack at the bottem of the tube f**k f**k f**k:mad:
so i`m gonna sell up any one fancy it before it`s repaired email me, but I`ll repair it over the autumn/winter and sell it,

Think I`ll buy a pace

is that a small medium? i want a small medium. though i have been diagnosed w/severe rust panic.

paul m

Yes

Yep small/medium its gonna need a new tube,it`s a fresh respray with fresh decals
it don`t matter if its a smal hole or a huge hole,makes no odds ,needs new tube
been quoted about

paul m

dont think it is rust anymore because it was shot blasted before respray,just a hole about 3mm and a tiny crack in the paint near the hole,no rust anywhere ,i think its a 1996:(

Yo Eddy!

Hi Paul,

I feel terrible sorry for you :(

I understand you are very disappointed, but still: Paces crack, against rust a frame can be protected

paul m

Rust

Have you any tips on how to stop water getting inside a sealed tube,plus would it be wrong to drill a (hole) on top of the bottem bracket shell whilst the seat tube is out so this will not ever happen again:(

Yo Eddy!

Paul,

No, it is not possible to stop water entering the seattube ...or at least I do not know a way

Drilling a hole: Most bikes come with hole from seatube to bb. Quite a lot have also a hole under the bb. Water can go out than and it also enable ventilation a little better, so mosture can dry. Think Chis sealed a bit too much.

What you can also do is removing seatpost after wet rides and put the bike upside down.

What I did with my Yo and several other bikes is spraying Mike Sander or FluidFilm AS R in the frame. The 1st is a rust preventition grease that needs to be heated to 100 dergrees celsius before it can be applied, the 2nd is a sticky oil that is much easier to work with. It is exceptional well suited for bike use. It comes in aerosol can and a 60cm nozzle is available. Wax based/Tectyl/ML products are also an option, but unlike oils and greases they won't creep forever and they become cracky in the long run. I feel confident my bikes won't rust through in a million yrs

There also excist a product called 'Framesaver'. I never worked with it.

masiman

As Yo Eddy! said, you can drill a hole in the tube. I have some visible rust in my Wicked. I cannot tell how severe but I am hoping for the best :). In any case, I have a small crack that I want to get repaired so I called Christopher Igleheart, he was a builder at Fat Chance. He said he has a long drill bit that he uses for just this purpose. The hole location would be at the lowest point of the BB-seat tube joint, which I think was toward the rear. Until I get the frame to him, he recommended any of the protectant sprays like Framesaver, Boeshield, etc. An alternative was to put oil in the tube to stop the current rusting from going on. It would displace the water and cut off oxygen.

Good luck. I hope you can get it fixed and enjoy your fat!

yorussell

Responce to water prevention

Sweet ride, dont sell it after repair, the regret will last forever. If you have enough room to do so with your frame , cut a road tube and get a big enough piece usually about a inch or so and slide it over your post all the way to the seat rails. Install post and work the tube down until it covers your seat collar and hopefully the little hole in the back of the frame. It should be a tight fit and add protection once you fix your Fat. Hope this helps.

SLIMJOE

Yep rust sucks!

Unfortunately this is very common with FATs from wet climates...I waited years before i got mine and guess bloody what? It had a rusty seat-tube...Ive had mine replaced and i reckon its well worth the expense if ya want to keep your FAT alive...Hey their too nice to send to bike heaven! Got mine done at ROCK LOBSTER CYCLES and it was repaired like for like with the 29.4 internal diameter and all the fancy bits re-atatched at the top...But i had a drain hole put in the tube at the bottom bracket shell....Long live YO EDDYS and keep em alive..