Oddball Ti Fixie late 80s - hoping to learn more

tonic

First: please ignore the build. When I picked up the frame I just threw on the components I had laying around and got to riding.

Now I'd finally like to build this frame up properly, but I'm curious to find out if anyone here knows anything more about it. I stumbled on this forum trying to do a little internet research on Fat Chance and those early days of titanium frames.

Here's what I know:
- It came out of the Somerville MA basement of Phil Chin in the summer of 2008 (that's when I bought it)
- My understanding is that Phil Chin worked for Fat Chance during the late 80s and/or early 90s and theoretically this frame was made there in that timeframe
- It's titanium but I believe the tubing is from before the days of bike-specific Ti tubing. It's unusually small in diameter but the frame is not actually that light given the size.
- The dimensions are roughly:
Top tube 50cm
Seat tube 51cm
Down tube 60cm
- It has track dropouts with a derailleur hanger, but no lugs anywhere for cable routing and the rear is not drilled for a brake
- The welds are totally stunning
- no decals, serial number, or anything else anywhere on the bike

Even though I'm about 5'8" and the frame is definitely too small for me, I've ridden this thing a ton of miles - it's my commuter and I also pretty frequently ride Paradise loop, Marin Headlands, and other Bay Area awesomeness. I've even done the full 70 mile tour of Lake Tahoe. I love it, and so I'd love to hear if anyone knows more about its origin or history. Was it intended to be a track bike? Polo bike? Was it just welding practice using scrap stock or something?

I'd also love any input on how to build it up right this time around.

And without further ado, pictures:

IMG9747-XL.jpg

IMG9748-XL.jpg

IMG9751-X2.jpg

IMG9738-XL.jpg

Earlier iteration with Pista drops:

734125797_rK9bJ-XL.jpg

Full gallery is here:
http://tonic.smugmug.com/Sports/Custom-Ti-Fixie

Thanks!!

IF52

Not sure what it is, but back in the 80s, at least in my neck of the woods, bike polo was done on mtn bikes on grass fields, not track bikes.

The der hanger has me puzzled too. No signs of cable stops having been ground off and the tubes re-scotch brited? Or a way to fix a rear brake on under the chain stays as you see on a few TT bikes today?

tonic

Thanks All!

No signs of cable stops having been ground off and the tubes re-scotch brited? Or a way to fix a rear brake on under the chain stays as you see on a few TT bikes today?

There's definitely no consideration for a rear brake under chainstay. As to cable stops, the frame was perfect without a single scratch when I got it - definitely no visible signs of changes or modifications. Also, it had been built up only for a couple of months after digging the frame out of Phil's garage: I think it was preserved as originally fabricated.

It's that orphan derailleur hanger more than anything that has me thinking it was some kind of an exercise made from extras/scraps.

I'm thinking now about throwing bmx splined cranks and stem and risers on there. Blasphemy?

Something like this:

IMG_9297_1.jpg

25T.jpg