Problems with the seatpost of my "wicked" from 88

moebius

The lip on the clamp is regulary sitting on the top of seat post. Not mine. No clamp will fit. It is a 21". A knowing problem? Or a mistake by the framebuilder? I need help. Please.

kind regards
jan

aHR0cHM6Ly9mc3RhdGljMS5tdGItbmV3cy5kZS9mMy8yMS8yMTE1LzIxMTUwMzMteHc3aGY3NjFsMTBmLXAxMTIwNTMwLW9yaWdpbmFsLmpwZw.jpg

I-ROBOT

The original design of the seatpost clamp did not sit on the top of the tube the way the later clamps with the seal did. I believe I had to modify the fixture that held the seat tab in place while it was welded to the tube to properly fit the newer clamp. If you look at some photos of older Fats, you can see the top of the seat tube sticking up through the clamp. You will have to find an older style clamp to fit the tab location.

A possible solution would be to carefully grind down the top of the seat tube (maybe use a broad hand file to keep the top of the tube as square as possible. Use tape to protect the paint.

Good Luck

Scott

moebius

The original design of the seatpost clamp did not sit on the top of the tube the way the later clamps with the seal did. I believe I had to modify the fixture that held the seat tab in place while it was welded to the tube to properly fit the newer clamp. If you look at some photos of older Fats, you can see the top of the seat tube sticking up through the clamp. You will have to find an older style clamp to fit the tab location.

A possible solution would be to carefully grind down the top of the seat tube (maybe use a broad hand file to keep the top of the tube as square as possible. Use tape to protect the paint.

Good Luck

Scott

ahoi scott.

to cut the seat tube is no solution for me. to find an "old"-style clamp is nearly unpossible. i think i will modify my salsa seatclamp.

thank for your ideas.

cheers
jan

rick

Wicked seat clamp

I also would much rather modify the clamp than the seat tube and have done so in the past with clamps from Hershey Racing. Pretty easy to modify with a Dremel tool. Ringle made some clamps back in the day that would work on this type of seat tube also, have not seen one recently though

moebius

I also would much rather modify the clamp than the seat tube and have done so in the past with clamps from Hershey Racing. Pretty easy to modify with a Dremel tool. Ringle made some clamps back in the day that would work on this type of seat tube also, have not seen one recently though

thanx a lot. tried to modify a salsa-clamp in 28,6 with a dremel. it fits the seat tube. but the screw did not fits the lip. ****. have to try the hershey racing ones.

cheers
jan