Any decent shock in 1"?

smittylube

So here is my dilemma-

I bought a squishy bike and I love the suspension.
I finally bought some pedals and cleaned up my wicked and rode it again and I LOVE it!

So this is where my problem lies... I love the new brakes and the feel of the vanilla compared to the rockshox mag 20.

Is there a decent fork out there that fits 1" or do I have Rody swap out the fork tube to a bigger one to accept the new forks? I would love to have just like 80mm travel on a solid rear.

Do I put on the awesome looking yo solid that Rody does and lighten it up some more?

It still ride so good, but even better now, I put on a shorter stem- it feels sooo much better now..

Steve

bonsaii

Yes, of course rigid..:cool:

But, if you really want suspension in the front, some of the Bombers have bolted head tube, and different options on tube sizeing.

Please, do not tamper with the frame original head tube! Spend some time to research and find the proper suspension fork with 1" tube.

- bons

smittylube

so the bomber is a decent shock?

Does anyone have any idea how much the solid fork weighs?

I think the shocks add 2 lbs if I recall correctly.

But yes I do love 'spension. 26 lbs is ok with me.

Thanks guys,
Steve

bonsaii

Yes, the Marzocchi Bomber suspension forks are known to be good, if not great..

Just weigh the green Yo Eddy fork from the Raspberry ice Yo Betty! thread on the kitchen weight. 800grams.. Figure out the lbs youreself? :D

- bons

smittylube

Wow If I recall my mag 20 is near 3lbs...

sounds like I better call Rody.

I love the yo style forks.. DO you want to sell your fork?

Steve

bonsaii

DO you want to sell your fork?

Steve

Sorry, but no selling of the originals.

I'm planning on calling Rody myself. Iglebike does'nt answer my enquiry, so I guess he has too much to do, and does'nt need the work in my schedule.

- bons

smittylube

Well It looks like Rody is going to make me a fork!
I just spoke with him.
Yo style yellow!!!!

Sooooo exciting :)

Steve

mtbmaniac

....just ordered a 1" steel zocchi steerer, not for a fat, rather for a P20. From what I hear its possible to replace the original steerer with a 1"er, just needs some serious muscle.

settemarche

SLube,

with regard to forks. i think you need to consider having the Mag rebuilt. the Mag fork however old is really an excellent overall fork. to have it freshened up and modernized will do you right. it will not be as still structurally as a Vanilla or Bomber - those are fork that are "Wicked" correct.

Hippie Tech has done many fork for me. work is great. just be patient. look them up.

as for the Bomber steer tubes. they do stock replacement 1" steel steers. and with the older crowns you can swap them out. unlike the Rock Shox crowns, the Bombers have two pinch bolts that help clamp the steer tube in. in theory it should be much easier to swap steers.

Sesto

p.s. still have the Rody fork done too. way cool.

smittylube

Thanks for all the comments,

Believe it or not my fork is still fine. The only reason I explore anything else is like I said after feeling the nice vanilla..

I am very skeptical about another fork and the added weight. So I have decided I will paint my mag yellow and still wait for my Groovy fork as well.. It weighs 26.4 right now, I am going to swap out the wheels for some lighter ones, then with the new fork should get it nice & light.

Oh yeah- I rarely add air and have in the past run 32 instead of the suggested 35, but last time I pumped it up nice clean red oil blew out when I pulled out the needle.. Hard to believe. It must hold air nice because I hang it upside down.

I have explored the hippytech site.. When They redid your fork did it have a better action?

Steve