About to 89 wicked, need some help.

afterbang

About to buy 89 wicked, need some help.

Hey guys. So I found a 16.5" wicked that I'm just about to pull the trigger on. Few questions:

I would want to swap the 7 speed Deore XT, to 8 speed XTR... will the Deore XT hubs take an 8-speed cog or am I going to have to lace up some other hubs?

Also, is the 7 speed XT shifters and derailleurs worth anything in resale value?

One more thing, the decals are all chipped away... the decals are NOT clear coated over, correct?

If anyone has any other advice or things to look for on this bike, I would really appreciate it.

Many thanks!

fat-tony

Staff member
You can run an 8 speed set up with 7 speed XT top thumb shifters utilizing the extra ghost click in them if we are talking the old school m737 type with a m900 rear derailleur.

afterbang

They are whatever XT shifters orignally came on the 89 wicked and I have an M910 rear derailleur. I was hoping the just put on a new cassette, chain, and the XTR derailleur I have and call it good. I have a front XTR (m901) derailleur and I figured it wont be a problem. I have some brand new grip shift x-ray shifters but I think that would be a non-kosher move from what I have read on here.

The only other thing I was going to do is put on circa 1995 White Industries crank arms on (I'm hoping they will work with the press fit BB) and put on some Avid tri-align brakes and levers.

colker

ok.. advice:
a 16.5 wicked is designed for a 5.6 ft person.
wickeds are old school geometry. forget long exposed seatposts, short stems, tight rear triangles.
It's a GREAT frame. Some diehard Fat riders will swear by wickeds over eveything including Yo Eddys.. but you got to ride taller seat tubes.

7sp, 8sp.. that's an easy swap. a wrong size bike.. not.

colker

I love Wickeds! having said that if you want a bike for power riding.. stiff, fast, aggro.. get a Yo Eddy.

afterbang

I am 5'8" and have a 30 inch inseam. I figured with a 28" stand over height, that would be just about right. The only XC bike we have near that size in the family is a 17" Jamis Dakar which felt a bit too big. Thats why I thought the 16.5" would be perfect.

I grew up on the east coast racing slalom, XC, and downhill so I've always had "smaller" bikes. The sizing thing, however, is very important to me as this bike is $650 dollars and I want it to be well spent. The next size up in the Wickeds is 18" and that seems like it would be a pretty tight fit.

Any other input on this would be very much appreciated.

colker

I am 5'8" and have a 30 inch inseam. I figured with a 28" stand over height, that would be just about right. The only XC bike we have near that size in the family is a 17" Jamis Dakar which felt a bit too big. Thats why I thought the 16.5" would be perfect.

I grew up on the east coast racing slalom, XC, and downhill so I've always had "smaller" bikes. The sizing thing, however, is very important to me as this bike is $650 dollars and I want it to be well spent. The next size up in the Wickeds is 18" and that seems like it would be a pretty tight fit.

Any other input on this would be very much appreciated.

i am 5.8 or 9 (31.5 inseam) and ride an 18in. it's already a bit tight on the top tube.
don't buy the 16in w/ou trying.

afterbang

Okay, I guess I'll have to put more thought into this as I can't test ride the bike. A friend of a friend owns it and they are 1,000 miles away. $650 sounded fair as the bike is in great shape and has the original paint in great condition...

colker

Okay, I guess I'll have to put more thought into this as I can't test ride the bike. A friend of a friend owns it and they are 1,000 miles away. $650 sounded fair as the bike is in great shape and has the original paint in great condition...

Se if there is someone around you w/ a 16in wicked.
I believe it has a 21.75 top tube, effective.
A small medium Yo, which would fit you, has a 22.6 top tube.
A 18in wicked has a 22.25.
A 16in wicked is a small bike.

Wickeds are wonderfull bikes. Addictive. Try one. They ride a bit different than your typical 71/73 angles hardtail

afterbang

Looked at the geometry from the 88 and 90 catalog which is the same info you posted.

Well, thanks for the help before I dropped all of that money... I guess the search continues.

Happy that it will be a more educated one now.

colker

That's my wicked. I have a 31.5 inseam, no shoes.

Attachments

• wickednomexico.jpg
    wickednomexico.jpg
    367.9 KB · Views: 16

afterbang

many thanks for your help, I'm hoping to seal the deal on a 18" wicked here soon. I definitely would have made a big mistake if I hadnt been given your advice.

- matt