A bit of Titanium history

Spikes

About two years ago, I found a picture of this Tifat on the internet and I fell in love. It is easy to see why:

tifat_example.jpg

I wanted to build a bike that was as beautiful as this one, with the same componentry, i.e. Campagnolo Record OR from around 1993.
I was offered a frame in good condition (but without the decals and in need of some TLC). The decals came separate. The frame belonged to an Australian guy, who bought it from a dutch guy, who bought it from Mikey NYC. Here is the frame before TLC with Scotchbrite and decals:

tifat_frame.jpg

Today the last item was added: the chain. A NOS Rohloff that came as standard equipment on Record OR gruppos those days. The result is really nice. I rode 50 metres on it today and that will do just fine. It is a museum bike (sorry guys).

tifat_left.jpg

tifat_right.jpg

Components:

Frame: Fat Chance Titanium M/L serial: 274T3ML as new
Gruppo: full Campy Record OR with Bullit shifters NOS
Rims: Campy Mirox NOS
Spokes: Wheelsmith DB new
Tires: Smoke/Dart II NOS
Stem: Ibis titanium as new
Bars: Answer Hyperlite as new
Fork: Answer Manitou III w/ speedsprings as new
Seat: Flite NOS
Cables: Gore-tex NOS

Hope you like it! It is in good hands and found a nice and warm place next to the other Fats.

Yo Eddy!

Ooohhh.... that's neat, Spikes :redface:

"The frame belonged to an Australian guy, who bought it from a dutch guy, who bought it from Mikey NYC. "

So, that made some miles :rolleyes: I think a few more by you won't hurt Spikes :D

Spikes

I know the frame can handle basically everything and decals are still available. It's more that I want to keep the jewel-like Campy parts to stay the way they are.... Luckily I have other Fats to bomb down the trail.

jh4rt

I know the frame can handle basically everything and decals are still available. It's more that I want to keep the jewel-like Campy parts to stay the way they are.... Luckily I have other Fats to bomb down the trail.
If I had that Fat, I don't think I'd ever ride anything else!!!!

;-)

Spikes

@bushpig: I wanted to go for a BOI at first. I went for the Manitou 3 in the end because I really liked the combination of the blue decals with the decals on the fork. It just really works, especially since the aluminium on the fork is highly polished, just like componentry. See what I mean?

Attachments

• tifat_front.jpg
    tifat_front.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 41