Fat City Cycles Frame Registry

northbend

Yoml185

This was bought from a guy in Arizona a few years back on EBay.
Just built it up with some some spare bits for my 16 year old son. He wanted it old school just like his old man riding on YOML2516.
The fork came from my first mountain bike (a cannondale M700).

Frame Type: Yo Eddy!
Frame #: YOML185
Year of manufacture: 1995?
Frame Size:ML
Color: Aquamarine Fade
Owner Name: Philip Pendergast

Attachments

• YOML185.JPG
    YOML185.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:

SicBith

What up

Yo Eddy
serial # 354Y4L
I don't know what year maybe you can help with that
Large
It came stock black, but I had Wes Willits paint it olive green
Dillon, CO
No Pick, and I need a FC fork. Somebody give one up.... 1" steerer please

mainlyfats

Modified Team Comp 024C09

I've given my Fat the single speed treatment and added some extra cruiser goodness. The rear dropouts were replaced by track ends on specially milled bullet-point inserts, the cable guides removed and the front brake bosses shaved off the fork. Jen Green made me the sterling Fat headbadge.

Any other Fat cruisers out there?

Attachments

• Cruiser.JPG
    Cruiser.JPG
    94.2 KB · Views: 108

MikeyNYC

Fat City Flyer!

mainlyfats said:
I've given my Fat the single speed treatment and added some extra cruiser goodness. The rear dropouts were replaced by track ends on specially milled bullet-point inserts, the cable guides removed and the front brake bosses shaved off the fork. Jen Green made me the sterling Fat headbadge.

Any other Fat cruisers out there?

mainlyfats,

That is a really novel idea to make a "BMX" type cruiser out of a Fat Chance! I have photos of a 24" Yo Eddy that is sort of a Single-Speed/BMX type Cruiser, but it's not mine...

-Nice head badge ;)
-Can you please take a photo of the rear drop-outs?
-Did you go a size smaller then you would for a regular MTB to make the frame more like a real BMX Cruiser for example an old SE Racing OM Flyer?

Now all you need is decals... :eek:

Michael NYC

gradeAfailure

Frame type: Yo Eddy
Frame number: 296Y1M
Year of manufacture: 1991
Frame size: 17" c-c, 18" c-t
Color: original unknown, currently black
Owner name: Dave

fc_3.JPG

bayareafat

Frame type: Fat Chance
Frame number: 87434
Year of manufacture: 1987
Frame size: 16.5" I think
Color: black frame yellow forks (Original)
Owner name: Mike Dale (Original Owner)

Attachments

• DSC03658.JPG
    DSC03658.JPG
    60.8 KB · Views: 58
  • DSC03659.JPG
    DSC03659.JPG
    61.1 KB · Views: 41

yo' djblu

ok here she is. bought her here on fat cogs a while back. Still in the middle of finding parts but have gotten a good snap of her thought i would share.

Frame #: 079T4M
Year of manufacture: 1994
Frame Size:M
Color: Aquamarine Fade
Owner Name: Sean-Michael

any green parts???

Attachments

• yoaqua.jpg
    yoaqua.jpg
    204.3 KB · Views: 167

kevin881

041Y2M

Frame #: 041Y2M
Year of manufacture: 1992
Frame Size: Medium
Color: Kandy Wild Cherry
Owner Name: Kevin

arctos

Fat Chance 86 and Team Fat Chance Tandem 87

Below are my two Fat Chance bikes purchased new in 1986 and 1987 from Gold Coast Cycles here in Santa Barbara. I/We like to bike tour self contained offroad and these bikes have taken us lots of places around the world.

Frame type : Fat Chance
Frame number: 86640
Year of manufacture: 1986
Frame size: Large/21
Color (original): Black
Owner name: Don
Photo : As soon as I can

Equipment: Cook Bros black 180 cranks; Suntour GG/WTB XC Comp Pedals; Ritchey Custon 160mm Stem; King Headset; WTB GG Hubs on Mavic Rims; WTB Speedmaster RollerCam Brake under chainstays; Shimano Canti Brake on Fork; Flat bar; Magura Brake Levers; Cinelli Unicanitor Seat on Suntour XC Comp seatpost; Shimano XT front and rear derailleurs; Shimano Dura Ace Freewheel(six speed)

Frame type : Fat Chance Mountain Tandem ; later called the Random Tandem
Frame number: 871463
Year of manufacture: 1987
Frame size: 20/19
Color (original): Metallic Blue
Owner name: Don
Photo : See below; These early photos do not include the Potts Fork and other upgrades in the list below.

Chris Igleheart built the Frame [or is it spelled Iglehardt as I have long thought?]
I was told by Chris that the bike was one of the first five tandems made and sold.

Equipment: Current
Cook Bros black 180 Tandem Cranks;
Suntour/WTB GG XC Comp Pedals;
Steve Potts Custom Type 2 Tandem Fork
Ringle Tandem stem (Front); Ibis custom Rear Stoker Stem
WTB GreaseGuard grouppo- WTB GG 36 hole Hubs with Sun Rims,WTB/Chris King GG Headset;
Three (3) Speedmaster Rollercam Brakes-Fork,Chain Stays and rear Seat Stays
Ti handlebars; Paul Brake Levers
Cinelli Unicanitor Seat on IRD seatpost (front); Brooks Saddle on USE shock post (stoker).
Shimano XT front and rear deraiileurs and thumb shifters(six speed index)
Shimano Dura Ace Freewheel-six speed
Syncros Fenders/Mudguards
Bruce Gordon Front Mountain Rack and BG rearCroMo rack
Needleworks/Robert Beckman Designs Tandem Panniers front and rear
Schwalbe Marathon XR Tires

Photo Labels:
The Yo Eddy band-aid is for any dings.
Prom Night Limo for my son.
Jasper Nat. Park,Alberta Canada-Lake Mary loop
Ready for First Ride on Tandem New Years Day 1988.

Attachments

• Don-005.gif
    Don-005.gif
    49.9 KB · Views: 63
  • Don-004.jpg
    Don-004.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 116
  • Don-002.jpg
    Don-002.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 72
  • Don-001.jpg
    Don-001.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:

mainlyfats

Sorry it took so long MikeyNYC

MikeyNYC said:
mainlyfats,

That is a really novel idea to make a "BMX" type cruiser out of a Fat Chance! I have photos of a 24" Yo Eddy that is sort of a Single-Speed/BMX type Cruiser, but it's not mine...

-Nice head badge ;)
-Can you please take a photo of the rear drop-outs?
-Did you go a size smaller then you would for a regular MTB to make the frame more like a real BMX Cruiser for example an old SE Racing OM Flyer?

Now all you need is decals... :eek:

Michael NYC

The head badge is indeed awesome. Jen had a few extra when I got in touch so it took all of a week to get - and that's to Canada! It's going to remain decal-less (in loving tribute to my being scammed/ignored by Wendyll), but if Jen makes a sterling "Don't Tread on Me" I might just have to put one on.

This is my trusty old steed, so it wasn't bought with this conversion in mind, but truth be told it's always fit a little on the small side. I always used to buy bikes this way with tons of seatpost and stem, but would never do it again. Unfortunately, I'm in custom bike territory as I need about a 24 1/2' - 25' top tube on a 20-21' seat tube. My IF SS is 24 1/2' - 20'.

I love old cruisers and only ride single speeds these days as my geared Fats are now gone. My first thought was to get a new Cook Bros. - since the SEs are offshore now and good vintage cruisers are stratospherically expensive and wouldn't fit at all - but I too got one of those "We're waaaay too busy to build bikes" letters from Jack Widmer.

This was my "keep it in the FAT family" concession. My friend Malcolm who did the dropouts came up with a fairly elegant solution to my "it MUST have domed stay ends" request with those inserts, a close-up of which is below.

Attachments

• IMGP1410.JPG
    IMGP1410.JPG
    253.7 KB · Views: 64

mainlyfats

The very same

fat-tony said:
you mean: Swendyll

I know she has friends here, but yeah, what a disappointment its been trying to deal with her. Well... She's fifty bucks richer, but I sleep well at night and I can't tell you how much that's worth.

If I had to guess I'd say at least $75... :)

Jack Lantern

Frame type: Yo Eddy!
Frame number: 970Y1M
Year of manufacture: 1991
Frame size: Medium
Color: Yellow (Original)
Owner name: Mark

I got this not too long ago as a frame & fork and pieced it together over the last 3-4 months. I know it doesn't have the correct Yo fork but the sexy curves of the Tange Struts have kinda grown on me during the build. Thankfully I don't have a very high quality camera so most of the typical chips & scratches don't show
biggrin.gif

Brakes - F: Ritchey Logic canti's.
- R: Suntour XC Pro self energizers.
Brake Levers: Ritchey Logic.
Headset : old school Dia Compe aheadset.
Stem : Control Tech 1" threadless ("shim-free").
Bars : Bontrager Ti.
Shifters : XT 7sp thumbers.
Bar Ends : Control Tech Stubbies.
Crankset : Cook's w/ Race Face rings.
Pedals : XT toeclip style.
Seatpost : Thomson
Derailleurs - F: XT M735
- R: XT M735 SS
Hubs: XT M732's in black.
Rims: Mavic MA2 cutdowns (sweet!).
Tires: Panaracer Dart & Smoke.

Tryin' to scrape together the cabbage to get a respray but I keep finding other bike stuff to spend it on first....funny how that goes.

Attachments

• 4dc3scd.jpg
    4dc3scd.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 50
  • 186dscd.jpg
    186dscd.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 116
  • cba3scd.jpg
    cba3scd.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 43
  • df4bscd.jpg
    df4bscd.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 59

morganew

Frame type: Yo Eddy!
Frame number: 288Y07
Year of manufacture: 1989
Frame size: Medium
Color: Black (Original)
Owner name: Morgan

I have one of a matched set of fairly early Yo Eddies. The shop I co-founded, All Weather Sports in Fairbanks Alaska, was a big Fat City shop. When the Yo's were announced, Simon and I signed right up. But there are two things on ours I haven't seen on others:

1. On the segmented fork, I have campy drop-outs
2. per request, we have standard cable routing, not the 'guitar string' look. Fairbanks has dry summers, and winter riding doesn't gum the cables either, as the snow is very dry.

Both are black with the pink Yo! Eddy sticker set. In fact, it was looking for replacement stickers that led me to this site!

I'm riding it with a mix of old and new: new (er) XT with 8 spd gripshift, old diacompe 986 with full Ti kit, a threadless Mag 21 with Ti crown and a chris king headset for those times when I want to switch back to the orginal fork.

One of the best things about the Fats were the took extra-wide rims with ease. Back in the 80's, my biz partner Simon built special rims for a race called the iditabike - by hand welding two bontrager box profile rims together. This gave great snow floatation with a 44mm wide rim bed.

At first, we were concerned that they wouldnt' work in very many frames. However, the Fats took these rims without a hiccup, and a product was born. The hand welded rims gave way to the "Snow Cat" rim, which we still manufacture to this day. But I'm pretty sure the first testing of these oversized rims was actually on a Fat City.

FAT BRI

resurrecting it from dust.

I have had my Fat Chance since 1990, bought it off a guy in Oregon for $200 bucks. Road it for about 12 years in the Seattle area where it has seen it's share of neglect over the years. Rough but sound shape.
Now I am in the process of restoring it. I

rbrsddn

I have a '99 Ti Fat that I had built in 1999. 9 spd XTR, Mavic Ceramic with Hugi hubs, Arch Supremes, Manitou XS Carbon, Thomson stem,seatpost, Time.

Year: 1999
Serial # TF M 1131
Size: M
Owner: Ben
bikepics-701795-full.jpg

Attachments

• Helmet,Lights 012 (Medium).jpg
    Helmet,Lights 012 (Medium).jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 98
  • Helmet,Lights 014 (Medium).jpg
    Helmet,Lights 014 (Medium).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 59
  • Helmet,Lights 013 (Medium).jpg
    Helmet,Lights 013 (Medium).jpg
    68 KB · Views: 36
Last edited:

Kevin Grady

Brian Kelley!

Hope you have found your way to Recycled Cycles. They have the most classic and NOS components around. Good luck to you.