fork trouble.

colker

i built my wicked lite w/ a vicious cycles fork. according to vicious, their 1in fork is a match for ANY frame built from 90-96, mtn bikes of course.
don't think so.. handling was bad. swapped for a specialized direct drive. check the difference:

Attachments

• wickedriser.jpg
    wickedriser.jpg
    187 KB · Views: 37
  • wickedredfork.jpg
    wickedredfork.jpg
    300.3 KB · Views: 37

fatf**knchance

are you getting rid of the vicious fork? the raked fork steers a little slower. straight forks always seem twitchy. nice bike!

colker

i don't know what i am going to do w/ the vicious fork.
it's supple and beautifull but not for the wicked. short rake and too tall. actually it's much slower than the curved fork. good for technical slow stuff but it messes too much w/ tyhe wicked geometry and i didn't like it. it could work on a yo eddy though.

BillyD

I had a suspension corrected fork on my wicked originally (not the right fork for the bike). Rode, turned, and climbed terrible.

Non suspension corrected is what the Wicked was designed around. Also wicked forks always came with a lot of rake. 45mm worth of rake. The Yo came with about 35mm or so.

I believe Vicious Cycles thought they were giving you the right fork. But, they failed to realize the Wicked was based on a non suspension corrected fork. As a result the fork changed the angles and ride characteristics of your Wicked.

BillyD

Thanks for posting the before and after pics. I can really see the diffence. The Vicious really changed the angles and made the front taller.

colker

BillyD said:
I had a suspension corrected fork on my wicked originally (not the right fork for the bike). Rode, turned, and climbed terrible.

Non suspension corrected is what the Wicked was designed around. Also wicked forks always came with a lot of rake. 45mm worth of rake. The Yo came with about 35mm or so.

I believe Vicious Cycles thought they were giving you the right fork. But, they failed to realize the Wicked was based on a non suspension corrected fork. As a result the fork changed the angles and ride characteristics of your Wicked.

they state their fork will fit bikes made from 90/96. i emailed them telling year and model.otoh i bought it at a very nice price from pisgah boy (poster here) and don't feel any bad about it.

headtube

You're probably looking at an axle to crown length of 385mm - 392mm with a rake of 43 - 45mm for the proper handling. Most frames of that era had those specs.

TealisReal

It's tough to find the proper fork length specs nowadays. And it is a bad assumption that all frames in a certain era had the same fork length. In 1993 at least, the Wickeds had longer forks than the Yo's, but neither was technically suspension corrected.