Indy Fabulous

colker

Fork is stamped 1995 TB, which I assume means made in 1995 and is triple butted, weighs a 800g, and has the nice cast dropouts. Classy looking fork and I hope won't throw the geometry off too much and i'm hoping it will be a little compliant, though that doesn't matter too much to me. I prefer climbing efficiency over downhill prowess.

I haven't measured the axle to crown but from the attached pic it looks quite long. Would anybody know what the length should be? IF said it was designed for a 80mm travel fork.

Even though my build doesn't appeal to everybody i'm seriously loving the stance and look right now. The simple straight lines remind me of the old school look that I dig so much.
Length should be around 420mm but more important is how you like the bike's behaviour. One measure is to build a rim brake 650B wheel w/ Paul's brakes which have enough adjustablity. That would be awesome as style and function.;) it would bring back the stability, slow the manners of the bike. Actually it would ride better than everything else and look classy.

sneb

zamfir, i liked the ride with the kona p2 (a-c 410, i checked) more, than what i felt with a chris kelly that came with 420mm a-c. much more yo-feeling with the shorter forks. it's a question of personal taste, a little voodoo and whatever. i'm not sure if i could check the difference in a blindfolded test, if this would be an option in this sport.

if if talk about an 80mm sus fork, i think they suggest something that is more around 420 than 410mm. you could level it by choosing a higher building tire for the front.

i think this 410mm tb p2 forks of around 1995 were the best kona ever made. the longer ones from later years i've seen were not my cup of tea. they were different in butting, the dropouts looked cheaper and even the diameter of the tubes was bigger. weight was always in direction of 1000g and more for the later ones.

cheers
:sneb

Zamfir

I agree that the P2 fork I have is above average in design and execution from others that i've seen, it even has a swagged steerer tube. Welds are clearly not the finest but heck, the price was right!

Had a minor setback last night. Started cleaning my beloved CK hs when I noticed one bearing is missing. I have no idea how one of the bearings could fall out or how i'm going to get one back in.....

Attachments

• CK HS.jpg
    CK HS.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 14

sneb

"I noticed one bearing is missing"
what the hell? but it shouldn't be a problem, if there never was one more. i remember we removed two bearings from conehubs (one from each side) in my really early racingbike days. the reason was - weight :)
i would place the hole on 9 or 3 o'clock when installing and try to forget.

Zamfir

I definitely had a wtf moment when I saw the missing bearing. Slowly I cooled off with a fine belgian ale, with hazy vision and thought I managed to pry out the inner race out and freed the bearings. Replaced the missing, greased and i'm good to go now, hooray for progress and tasty beer!

colker

I definitely had a wtf moment when I saw the missing bearing. Slowly I cooled off with a fine belgian ale, with hazy vision and thought I managed to pry out the inner race out and freed the bearings. Replaced the missing, greased and i'm good to go now, hooray for progress and tasty beer!

NOw you got me thinking of beer...;)

Zamfir

Wheels!

Minor parts update.

Another baby step forward to completion. Scored a wheelset yesterday. Ringle front hub on a Mavic 231 and a Paul's rear (WI freewheel) on a Salsa Gordo rim.

To say these wheels do not match is a understatement. Silver rims and spokes up front, black rims and spokes on the back. Ergh......Both wheels have thick plain gauge spokes and weigh far too much.

Plan at the moment is to re-lace the wheels with rims and spokes from my old Nuke Proof set which I disassembled after I noticed cracking of both hubs.

Rims will be Mavic 231's, Wheelsmith db spokes, blue nips.

Attachments

• front w.jpg
    front w.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 8
  • back w.jpg
    back w.jpg
    100.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Zamfir

Wheels!

Minor update. Finally finished relacing my ss wheelset.

DB Weimann stainless spokes, blue nips, Mavic 231 rims. Paul rear hub and Ringle' front.

Colors match and I dropped a considerable amount of weight, plus they look nice :rolleyes:

Attachments

• IF Wheels.jpg
    IF Wheels.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 14

Zamfir

Parts!

Minor photo update, though I have made more progress with collecting parts for this build.

Found this old GT stem locally with a nice rise and reach, it also has a cable guide (yeah!). Ignore the color for now as I hope to have the fork and stem repainted. I do like the neon red, I just think it clashes with the frame.

I also located a pair of Ritchey brake levers and M920 cranks which just about finish off my parts list, just need to find a saddle and cable guide for the rear brake and build this sucker up.

It's going to be a sweet ride!

Attachments

• GT Stem.jpg
    GT Stem.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 16

colker

Minor photo update, though I have made more progress with collecting parts for this build.

Found this old GT stem locally with a nice rise and reach, it also has a cable guide (yeah!). Ignore the color for now as I hope to have the fork and stem repainted. I do like the neon red, I just think it clashes with the frame.

I also located a pair of Ritchey brake levers and M920 cranks which just about finish off my parts list, just need to find a saddle and cable guide for the rear brake and build this sucker up.

It's going to be a sweet ride!

It looks like no other stem i've seen on Ifs and that goes w/ the spirit of SS. well done.

Zamfir

The stem is a odd design, clearly inspired by the Grove Hammerhead.

Despite the color I think it works with the build and will fit me just right. With a repaint it'll bring it all together, I hope.

Syborg

Hi all,

here is my 98er Porsche Riviera Blue Independent Fabrication steel deluxe. Built up with Magura HS33 and Shimano 785 XT parts. My all around carefree bike.

Greetings Helmut

IMG_0320_zps6977ca90.jpg

IMG_0333_zpsed18f285.jpg

IMG_0337_zpsb673308e.jpg

IMG_0338_zps2576dd77.jpg

IF52

I bought it from a guy in NYC who wasn't the original owner so the history is lost. I did confirm The # with IF though, I was surprised myself.

My understanding from buddy of mine who raced for them very early on and is still friends with some of the founders is that the first dozen or so went to IF employees, girlfriends and racers. It's pretty neat you wound up with one of those.

Zamfir

So many amazing bikes, thank you for sharing.

I'm a bit stalled on my build at the moment, can't seem to find a BB-930 (bottom bracket) locally and the 'bay ones are a bit spendy. Time is ticking away though, 6 short weeks until the 24hr race! I'm hoping to have Indy ready by then.

Spikes

Wow, that is a nice bike. It looks a bit like the blue Indy Fad Deluxe redux..... Similar color, same group.

Hi all,

here is my 98er Porsche Riviera Blue Independent Fabrication steel deluxe. Built up with Magura HS33 and Shimano 785 XT parts. My all around carefree bike.

Greetings Helmut

IMG_0320_zps6977ca90.jpg

IMG_0333_zpsed18f285.jpg

IMG_0337_zpsb673308e.jpg

IMG_0338_zps2576dd77.jpg