The Yo! seatpost issue topic

Yo Eddy!

I am considering a new seatpost for my Yo! The Yo! needs 29,4mm and we all know that isn't the most common diameter. I did some research and ended up with the options below.

As more people face the same from time to time I posted this selection of posts currently available. Not sure whether I covered everything. Please let me know if you have suggestions?

Brunn
Brunn.jpg

Almost everything possible on request.
not cheap

ControlTech
ControlTech.jpg

Some setback
only 350mm
need shim

Easton EC70
EastonEC70.jpg

Carbon
need shim
in 27,2 only 350mm
serious setback
doesn't look right on a Yo! To modern, to common

Extralite The Post 2
ExtralightThePost2.jpg

need shim
in 27,2 only 360mm

Heylight mit Versatz
Heylight(1).jpg

15mm setback
Flashy colours on request
400mm available
need shim

Heylight Superleight
HeylightSuperlight.jpg

in 27,2 only 350mm
need shim

Moots Ti
Mootspost.jpg

with and without setback
need shim
not cheap

Race Face XY
RaceFaceXY.jpg

need shim
RF stopped making, although at the moment still widely available
As XY 2,5cm setback. Also available without.

Ringle Moby2
RingleMoby2.jpg

only 350mm
need shim (on new ones, yes)
Flashy colour: red

Roox S4.2
RooxS4.2.jpg

29,4!!!!
430mm!!!
no setback
reasonably priced

Salsa Shaft
SalsaShaft.jpg

need shim
setback

Shannon Carbon
ShannonCarbon.jpg

need shim

Shannon MTB Light
ShannonMTBLight.jpg

29,4!!!
430mm!!!
were already there in '95
Flashy colours: I guess so

Shannon HardCore
ShannonHardCore.jpg

29,4mm
430mm!!!
was already there in '95
looks very like a Roox. Similar?
Flashy colours: :?:

Syncros
Syncros.jpg

need shim

Syncros CF
SyncrosCF.jpg

need shim
carbon

Thomson Elite
ThomsonElite.jpg

no setback model in 29,4
setback model needs shim
long
not my fave for a Yo!

Tune Starkes St

Spikes

Definitely the Thomson, but I'd like to suggest the Dean titanium ultralite or USE as alternatives.

Yo Eddy!

Ok!, I hadn't covered DEAN. On their site I see they have 2 models:

DEAN mountain TI
DEANmountain.jpg

need shim
ti for under $100

DEAN Ultra Lite
DeanUltraLite.jpg

need shim

I like the 4 colour DEAN label. Matches very good with the multiple colours on my Yo! :wink:

lucifer

I may have a syncros 29.4 by 425 post for sale shortly.
It doesn't have layback but it is in like new condition.
It came with my new buckshaver but I don't need all that length. I have a line on a 330mm one to replace it. If I end up getting it the 425 will be for sale.

Yo Eddy!

Thanks for al your suggestions!

I posted a similar thread on a Dutch forum and there people already mentioned the American Classic option. They also came up with the Selcof Bipostion post.

@Karl
Thanks for the lead, but I don't think purple will be the way to go for my Yo! And it may be called UNO, but Kalloy certainly isn't my no.......

@Lucifer
I am sorry, I really prefer setback to save my knees

It is also clear now I was wrong in my assumption that Heylight posts require shims. That's not true! They do come in 29,4 and I can also choose my fave colour. As this post is also long and comes with setback it seems to be a very good solution. Positive is also those posts were already made in '95 so in terms of age/authenticity it matches my Yo! perfectly. I am now waithing for quote.

I will let you people know how this 'new seatpost for my Yo!?!' story continues.

Yo Eddy!

Heylight Sattelst

This week I took delivery of my 'custommade' red anodized, 29,4mm, 400mm Heylight seatpost. It matches my red Kookas, riserbar and other red bits perfectly. I will post pics soon.

I already took my Yo with Heylight out for a few rides and it seems the post is a great working item. Adjustability is easy and because of very fine steps I were able to find the right saddle angle. Because of the 1.5 cm setback I am now more behind the BB. This what I wanted and why I took the decision to drop the Moby.

The clamp does what it is supposed to do - the saddle sits very tight. How the post fits in the frame? 'Like a glove.' Nice feature the post has an open top so it is not necessary to remove the seatpost when you turn the bike upside down to dry after a ride in wet conditions.

Furthermore it is a light post and this post was already there when my Yo were produced in '95, so there is no conflict.

I bought my post through Rogolls in Germany. Holger Rogoll proved to be a kind and responsible person. Currently Rogolls asks 80 euros for this post and I would say that is a fair price.

Heylight(1).jpg

Last edited:

eddie74

Old thread, i know but there are many seatposts listed who are only possible with a shim.
So i want to use a shim in an old Fat Ti and not sure if this would be safe for post and frame?
Never used a shim before in a frame.

mainlyfats

Old thread, i know but there are many seatposts listed who are only possible with a shim.
So i want to use a shim in an old Fat Ti and not sure if this would be safe for post and frame?

Functionally, I don't think you'll ever have a problem. But if I ever saw your bike, I'd quietly say to myself "He's that kind of guy..."

zonq

I've had a couple Ti Fats over the years, and have been through a number of posts on each.
On one frame, we could never, ever get the Syncros Ti post it came with to work without galling. There must have been some tiny tiny burr or bump in the ID from the seat cluster weld, that even after a worrying amount of honing and a Ti-Prep bath, would catch and make the post fight like hell on the way back out again. Every single time.

So instead I tried a 28.6 Ringle with a .4mm aluminum shim, & it worked perfectly. The shim was soft enough to deform around that micro burr, and leave a perfectly smooth ID for the post to slide in & out of effortlessly. I generally dislike shimming things, but this was actually an improvement.

I also picked up a 29.2 Syncros Ti post, just in case a future frame has a snug fit again.

WD Pro

I think shims can look quite neat, this one is virtually hidden by the seat clamp :

It's a retro USE Ti post that's only available in 25.00mm

I have one on the Airborne (the pictures above) :

One on the Marin :

And I have another two, one destined for the Yo - with a plastic shim :D

WD :D

WD Pro

Yeah, the use shims are long :

In the case of the airborne, the USE shim is actually longer than the factory fit (non removable) Ti frame insert.

WD :D

tvcreative

Campagnolo Euclid, and Olympus

Euclid, Olympus, Centaur

all came with set back in YO size 29.4

I see them all the time on ebay

there are some ti variety not sure if they are MTB worthy

tvcreative

by the way

Shims suck

find a post that fits

you can never go wrong with a period correct syncros, or ti syncros provided you bring a bag of money to get it.

eddie74

Shims suck

find a post that fits

you can never go wrong with a period correct syncros, or ti syncros provided you bring a bag of money to get it.

Yes, for sure but for a good syncros hardcore you need now a lot of money and for a +400mm a lot more 😀
Any idea how deep the seatpost must be min in the seattube??