sizing questions

henk19

I need to know what size frame i should try and find. I am 5'11'' and weigh 165 pounds what size yo frame should i be looking for? I had a s/m yo in yellow but i out grew it and have not had another fat since, now I am in a position to start looking again. I have all the parts i just need a frame and maybe a fork.
thanks for any help.

Doug Carter

Staff member
Hi Henk,

Depending on your inseem length and your comfortable reach, you'd probably be in the range of a Medium to Medium/Large, which is where I fall. It is generally a 17" to 18" frame size. Definitely, a S/M would be too small for you, as it is about a 16" or 16.5" frame. A short inseem measurement (30" to 32") would lean towards a M, where a longer inseem (32" to 34") would fall towards the larger M/L frame size.

And the reality is that no one can say exactly what you would be most comfortable on. Some guys would rather have the smaller frame and dial it in with longer stem and riser bars, and some would rather be on a larger frame reach with a shorter stem. You are kind of in the middle, so the best thing to do would be to try to find one to ride, if possible (I know, Fat Chance, right? ;))

Good luck in your search. I have been searching for the right M/L Yo for over a year now.

doug

John

Administrator
Staff member
henk,

as Doug mentions is is down to personal preference and body shape. I'm 6'0" and a bit (ahem) over 165 lbs. I ride a medium and it fits me just fine. In fact it's a nice 'old-school' fit - plenty of post and a longish stem.

Doug Carter

Staff member
Henk, if you measured your Shocka at 16" seat tube length, it is definitely a M/L. If you think that is too small, you might be best suited to look for a L (which is about a 19") frame in a Yo. Something to consider. A M/L Yo will have the same effective top tube length as your Shocka with the same head tube and seat tube angles. A Large or 19" frame will have about a half inch longer top tube and extend your reach a bit with the same angles every where else.

doug

<thought bubble... hmmm, that Shock-a-billly sure would fit me perfectly :) >

lucifer

rutteger said:
henk,

as Doug mentions is is down to personal preference and body shape. I'm 6'0" and a bit (ahem) over 165 lbs. I ride a medium and it fits me just fine. In fact it's a nice 'old-school' fit - plenty of post and a longish stem.

Ditto, I am 6' 140lbs and my medium buck is a good fit. 135mm stem and long seatpost.