nother YO

wesintl

I broke a few alum frames and decided I needed a quality steel bike. I can still remember being in awe while on my first ride on my YO. The handling of the bike was like none i've ever experienced. I can still remember vividly some 14+ years later, that first ride. The bike has morphed somewhat but is still somewhat retro.

Specs are
YO L
Manitou sx (original fork was a manitou3)
Syncros Cattleprod stem
King headset
answer hyperlite bars
xtr pods
magura hydro with Kooka levers (originally xt cantilvers, went hyro because I hated v-brakes)
onza bar ends
Flight deck comp
syncros post
WTB seat (I have probably have a dozen seats with ti rails in a milk crate like selle italias,etc.)
Cook Bros e crank (onza buzz saw rings save the 46t
xtr rr rear d
xt front d
shimano 747 pedal. I have a couple different ones. I think the original set I had were 727's?
It's got a Ti bb. I can't remember what brand

I've got 2 sets of wheels
Hugi with 217 ceramic taperd spokes
ringle bubba's with 14 straight

I always loved to run that old smoke 1.9 folding tire then moved to the conti xc 1.5 in the rear. I usually ran a 2.0 tire in the front but for a long time I ran the 2.2 dart in the front. The other wheels have some fire xc on them.

I've had a few other bikes come and go but the fat will never be for sale. My Roadie is a Seven Axiom, and I have a klein palamino.

I'll dig up some vingtage photos but here it is today. The rest on flickr

[URL="http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3195/2888673351_41fa12c7df_b.jpg"]
[/URL]

Last edited:

DC

Looks good and ridden, like it should!
I ran a conti 1.5 on the back w/a big tire upfront, moto. It does slacken the angles a bit and take a little away from the east coast geometry.
Ride on!

Butcher

That's a hard core yo that has some seasoning on it, I like it. Do you know what year the frame is?

wesintl

Thanks folks.

I did change tires often. If it was really wet and muddy I throw on that 2.2 with a spike in the rear and when it was nice and dry and fast single track I'd run 1.9's F&R for maxium handling

I've ridden it hard. While I reside south of Denver I grew in Va and this bike has mostly all hard muddy east coaster miles. Although I did live in CB and Aspen for bit. I used to put more miles on this bike than I did my car. I have literally logged thousands of miles around slatyfork. I remember when snowshoe didn't even have trails and then opened with a couple. I rode there on and off periodically with the enchanted forest being my favorite (all those rocks still had growth on them) up to bald knob and back. I quit riding there after the trails got too worn. I used to go to slatyfork(and the rest of pocahontas co) and douthat once a month. I duno if I could pick a favorite in statyfork but I miss the original props ;)

IIRC I got the bike in early 93. I still have the tags and every catalog from 92 or 93 on. The funny thing is when I ordered it I thought I was getting the team violet which was a deep candy red type of violet. When I opened the box I about crapped my pants when this pepto bismal color appeared. It really wore on me though and it's such a unique color. I'll post the serial.

The ding on the rear triangle I got riding red run in slatyfork.

I know I have a couple pics of it back in the day . I'll have to look though all my scanned pics before there were digital cameras.

wesintl

Here is an old one. I used to have a turquiose moby post. Loaned it to a friend and never saw it again. i'd like to find another if anyone has leads. I have the old shimano pedals on it. bag under the seat with tools LOL. That was before camelbacks

Attachments

• fat1.jpg
    fat1.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 90
Last edited:

YoKris

The funny thing is when I ordered it I thought I was getting the team violet which was a deep candy red type of violet. When I opened the box I about crapped my pants when this pepto bismal color appeared. It really wore on me though and it's such a unique color.

Hey dude - welcome on board! ;)

The paint job you mentioned was called Kandy Wild Cherry! - your YO has a team violet paint! They were right!

cheers
//yo

wesintl

That's a hard core yo that has some seasoning on it, I like it. Do you know what year the frame is?

I still have the invoice from Fat City.#34525 Order Date 5/9/94

I paid $515 for the frame a and 240 for a Manitou 3 $15 to ship. :D

The serial is 050Y3L Large

I still have the original tag with all the Fat City signatures.

I'll try and scan some of this stuff one day. I still have the card and signatures from my seven axiom too :)

IF52

was it a pro deal or something? That seems way cheap for a yo in 94. Or maybe my memory is faulty...

Waaaaay cheap. Retail, IIRC, was around $1100.00, maybe closer to $1200.00. My memory on that is a bit cloudy, but it was nowhere near as low as $515.00. I don't remember Fat offering a pro deal to shop employees either, just to regional team members. I think that's how we hooked Gretchen Reeves up with her first Fat. Well, that and Earl was dating her at the time.

lucifer

yeah cause it seems like buck shavers were around 700 at that time. Not sure if the price included a fork or not.

jerrodfox

Yo! I got my Sorrata built YO and I got a super deal from the shop for 900.00. 500ish sounds like the deal of the century. Looks good and ridden. As it should. J