New to fat chances

fatchance

Hey guys I just joined this forum and I am in the process of looking for a fat chance. Do you guys have any tips of what I should be looking for?

tvcreative

look at old catalogues...

look deep into pocket book

look at others bikes

look out for rip off artists

look deep into pocket book again

have fun

mainlyfats

If you don't have a strong emotional connection to Fats - and I suspect that because you're asking you don't - I'd probably leave them alone. With precious few exceptions, old mountain bikes are really bad investments.

Apart from real fringe models, Yo Eddys/Titaniums w/steel forks are the most available collectible models it would seem. Earlier bikes don't command much attention or high dollar.

There are a few fringe bikes - 10th Anniversary, track and the Chris Cross - that are nearly unobtainable and - at least until cross recedes back into the muddy hole it has crawled out of in the past 5 years - probably gold standard Fats.

Trials, True Temper Kickers with unicrowns and weird one-offs always seem to me to be given away to good homes.

I don't believe that anyone actually sets out to buy a Buck Shaver or Bro Eddy. Betty's - not trying to be sexist - but there's only so many guys with sympathetic partners.

Wickeds, Teams and old race bikes seem to be more variable. They don't command high dollar though... 2/3s at most of a Yo.

I'd be looking at early bikes - Fat Mike NYC has tremendous examples - 531 frames, box crowns if I were getting into it now. These would be a shock to ride for most people familiar with modern mountain bikes (too short on the top tube, too little stand-over, too long chainstays, too slack head tube, kinda porky, too little brakes, etc.). Aesthetically and emotionally though, for me, they are tits.

Know that a full restore will be in the $2-$3K zone and worth about a half (Wickeds, Teams, Road bikes) to two-thirds (Yos) that when completed to a very, very high standard (basically NOS). Decals are tough if you're a stickler with a weird model.

Generally, we're a pretty mellow bunch here. Tell us what you're considering, how much, with some photos of condition and you'll get good feedback.

troda

If you don't have a strong emotional connection to Fats - and I suspect that because you're asking you don't - I'd probably leave them alone. With precious few exceptions, old mountain bikes are really bad investments.

Apart from real fringe models, Yo Eddys/Titaniums w/steel forks are the most available collectible models it would seem. Earlier bikes don't command much attention or high dollar.

There are a few fringe bikes - 10th Anniversary, track and the Chris Cross - that are nearly unobtainable and - at least until cross recedes back into the muddy hole it has crawled out of in the past 5 years - probably gold standard Fats.

Trials, True Temper Kickers with unicrowns and weird one-offs always seem to me to be given away to good homes.

I don't believe that anyone actually sets out to buy a Buck Shaver or Bro Eddy. Betty's - not trying to be sexist - but there's only so many guys with sympathetic partners.

Wickeds, Teams and old race bikes seem to be more variable. They don't command high dollar though... 2/3s at most of a Yo.

I'd be looking at early bikes - Fat Mike NYC has tremendous examples - 531 frames, box crowns if I were getting into it now. These would be a shock to ride for most people familiar with modern mountain bikes (too short on the top tube, too little stand-over, too long chainstays, too slack head tube, kinda porky, too little brakes, etc.). Aesthetically and emotionally though, for me, they are tits.

Know that a full restore will be in the $2-$3K zone and worth about a half (Wickeds, Teams, Road bikes) to two-thirds (Yos) that when completed to a very, very high standard (basically NOS). Decals are tough if you're a stickler with a weird model.

Generally, we're a pretty mellow bunch here. Tell us what you're considering, how much, with some photos of condition and you'll get good feedback.

Now Ill give you my opinion from the other side of the spectrum. There are tons of riders out there for a reasonable price. If you're not in it as a collector go wild. They're still an American made handbuilt bike with a lot of history. They're a blast to ride. Be careful though. Theyre very addicting
Tom

fatchance

Thanks for the great info guys. I am looking to spend around $800 or less if possible. I am looking for an 18-19 1/2 size frame that is in overall good condition. I have been looking on ebay and craigslist and ebay has high prices and everything seems to go quickly on craigslist, any thoughts about where else I should look to find a good price?

yo-Nate-y

Staff member
I've happened into some very cheaply and some for more $$. I've sold some cheaply and some for more $$. $800 is a totally decent budget for something that isn't pristine and/or over-priced.

Get a sense of what you are after and keep searching. There are gems on craigs from time to time, but you have to move quickly.

Hell, I found my Chris Chance on Boston craigslist as a frame/fork. Got in my car and started driving! (I was in CT at the time). Good luck with the search!

fatchance

Thanks for the info. I saw the monster fat on ebay and it is out of my price range and not really what I am looking for, but thank you for telling me about it. I will continue my search on craigslist and on ebay.

mainlyfats

Thanks for the great info guys. I am looking to spend around $800 or less if possible. I am looking for an 18-19 1/2 size frame that is in overall good condition. I have been looking on ebay and craigslist and ebay has high prices and everything seems to go quickly on craigslist, any thoughts about where else I should look to find a good price?

I've sold a good bike - a late 80's Fat Chance - with a totally restored drivetrain for about that, so you're in the ball park. If you can swing it, you'll see great bikes come up here in the $900-$1200 range. By great - my ex-mechanic roots showing through here - I mean bikes you can reliably thrash anywhere on unboxing.

My advice is to stick around and keep your eyes peeled on our classified. Might not always be be the lowest price, but a lot of the bikes that pass through here are quality rides from people who care.

lewisfoto

Old steel mountain bikes are a steal. (particularly if you want a bike to ride) The Wicked Fat I just got off of Ebay was $580 plus $100 shipping. What would that $680 have bought me in a typical bike shop? Thats right horse dookie. Instead the Wicked is light, has aggressive race geometry and comes with full xt. Plus I think they just look better than most current models. Anyway if a Fat Chance is what you want it is very attainable just keep your eyes open.

oh and, like others have said, look out for rust!

fatchance

Thank you for the advise, a lot of the fats I've seen have very little rust but seeing as these have steel frames that can turn into a problem.

mainlyfats

I was wondering if you guys think I would fit a 19.5 inch frame considering I am 5"9?

I'd say 19.5 is too big for something you actually might dismount offroad. Great for bike paths, etc. provided the stem isn't crazy (i.e. period correct) long.

I'm 6"3 and rode a 19.5 for years.

fatchance

Ok thank you for the sizing information. I think a 19 inch frame will fit me considering I would not be doing much off road riding.

tvcreative

If you are 5'9" you should be riding an 18

I am 5'10" and own a 19.5, and and several 18s

the larger bike calls for a much shorter stem and seatpost height, along with wary nuts.

fatchance

Ok thanks for the information. I am actually 5"9.5 and in one of the fat chance catalogues it said that a 19.5 is good for someone 5.9.5-6".