Wicked - road commuter

bonsaii

Here's some photos of my road set-up Wicked. It has Tioga City Slicker tyres and two chain rings in front; 48T and 34T to set the pace.. :cool:

Could it be re-painted? Reason for wondering is the placement of the Chris Chance- and Sommerville decals, and the color scheme. The colors are not in the 1990 catalouge, but it could also be a custom paint job.

It has light scratches in the paint here and there and I am thinking of a re-paint, although I like to keep originals..

-bons

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    186.1 KB · Views: 85
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    257.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    201.2 KB · Views: 52
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 42
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 53

DC

That is a pretty sweet commuter! I would think it might be a repaint also, never seen the Union Jack on the back of the seat tube. Is that a crack at the seat tube slot? Anyway, I'm sure it is a zippy fun bike to scoot around on! Enjoy!

mainlyfats

Union Jack? I'm pretty sure you guys kicked some British ass so that you wouldn't have to fly the Union Jack. That would be the good old Stars and Stripes. ;>

bonsaii

That is a pretty sweet commuter! I would think it might be a repaint also, never seen the Union Jack on the back of the seat tube. Is that a crack at the seat tube slot? Anyway, I'm sure it is a zippy fun bike to scoot around on! Enjoy!

Ok, some more info:

I have the original receipt from Spectrum Cycles in 1989. The total is $667 and the color is specified as blue/black. For that price, could it be new in 89?

Have to check the seat tube for cracks..

Thanks for replys!

jbrannsten

Staff member
On the original card, I see Scott Bengtson's name. He is on the forum from time to time, maybe he can remember if this was a "stock" color or not...

bonsaii

Yes, mabye he can answer..

Just sent an e-mail to the guy I bought it from so, we'll see if he can clear things up. Again, my nerdness catches up with me. :)

bonsaii

Just got answer to my questions from the first owner (I'm second);

The paint job is original, done at FCC and the color scheme is custom- of first owners choice, done with Dupont Imron paint.

As for the decals he explains that he changed them several times; when FCC was still in business and the last time just before the sell-out to Serotta.

Thats it! :cool:

Jeeves

Interesting! That's a pretty grainy fade for a Fat City paint job - I'd have guessed custom paint afterwards.

I do know that they were pretty accomodating with the decals - I didn't like the blue decals when i ordered my TI and they gave me silver ones just like yours...and someone stuck a "lite" sticker on it, from a "wicked lite" set.

-Raj

bonsaii

What to do..?

When I bought this Wicked a set of Wicked Lite decals came along, although the ChrisChance-, one down tube FAT CHANCE- and the small seat tube FAT deals are missing. There's also a variance in the Lite-decals; the star inside the A and C are missing. Is this decal set a repro??

I'm thinking of having it re-painted, but must have all the correct decals first. And off course decide on choice of colors; original blue/black or something more funny..:rolleyes:

bonsaii

Crack

Aaarrghh!
Just checked the seat tube, and there is a small crack!:mad:

I will try and repair it with limited damage to the paint, but most likely a fairly large area will be paintless. If so theres a good argument for a re-paint..

Damn!! The bike was very cheap, but there's no fun discovering cracks!

DC

Bummer, Bons:( . I thought that's what that looked like in the pic. My '92 Yo! had the exact same crack before I sent it to Ny for a repaint in '96. 13 years later, it hasn't re-appeared so they must of done it right. Good luck with your repair / decision on repainting.
DC

jcons

Hot ride

I can't see the crack in the pixs. Hope that means its minor. I like the idea of the repaint in red, but it would be cool to preserve the odd fade that you've got now. Red to black would be cool. Or blue to red?

bonsaii

20 years of age - original paint.

I really, really dislike the idea of taking the original paint of the frames, but, it's a necessary evil.. I will have nightmares when this project starts, but hopefully the result will be nice..:D

This summer I'll ride it and carefully monitoring the crack.

jcons:

The crack is located in the back of the seat tube, on the right side (3 o'clock) of the seat tube slot. See the last two photos.

Thanks for the ideas on the color schemes for the re-paints. Like you say, theres two options; keep the original scheme, or be "crazy" and go custom (all on my own). After all the todays paint is custom, only 20 years old...

bonsaii

Specially equipped

The Wicked ready to move me from my house to the gym. Indoor bandy.

A very nice ride and warm-up. Had some some really good pace on the asphalt. Very light and nice to ride.

Attachments

• DSC_0013.JPG
    DSC_0013.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 29

ozcanuck

The Wicked ready to move me from my house to the gym. Indoor bandy.

A very nice ride and warm-up. Had some some really good pace on the asphalt. Very light and nice to ride.

Nice Fat!
The hockey stick reminds me of the good old days, riding my 1966 CCM Mustang (metallic green, banana seat and ape bars, would that I had thee now...) to the rink at 6am with my hockey gear on, stick tied to the frame like yours, helmet on and skates over the shoulder. No one would let their kids do that now...alas.
Keep up the good work!