Replacement Options for Wicked Bottom Bracket

fathead

Greetings,

I'm interested in feedback on any/all options and personal experience with having replaced the original pressed in BBs [w/White Industries Cranks/Eno Hub]. Also confirmation on the specs for ordering the right configurations. It appears to be a 68 shell and 47.5 offset for the chain line but i haven't taken off the crank to measure the spindle. Phil Wood seems to have workable options ...

'You can run one of our BB with the White industries cranks. You will half to measure your length of spindle you have ether a 113mm or 121mm spindle.

Phil BB is $119.00 for a 113mm length
Phil BB cup set stainless $37.50
Phil BB Tool $15.00 each, may require two tools for easy installation'

Many thanks,

-Tom

mainlyfats

That doesn't make sense. Phil tools and cups are for threaded BBs, so you need to look at the press-fit (for Merlin, etc.) section. Or call them and tell them what you have.

Greetings,

I'm interested in feedback on any/all options and personal experience with having replaced the original pressed in BBs [w/White Industries Cranks/Eno Hub]. Also confirmation on the specs for ordering the right configurations. It appears to be a 68 shell and 47.5 offset for the chain line but i haven't taken off the crank to measure the spindle. Phil Wood seems to have workable options ...

'You can run one of our BB with the White industries cranks. You will half to measure your length of spindle you have ether a 113mm or 121mm spindle.

Phil BB is $119.00 for a 113mm length
Phil BB cup set stainless $37.50
Phil BB Tool $15.00 each, may require two tools for easy installation'

Many thanks,

-Tom

fathead

I was under the impression that Phil had a replacement alternative [not pressed in] that was an acceptable workaround ... I'd like to be free from having to replace the fragile lock rings that seem to inevitably fail and need to be tracked down and replaced.

I'll double check with Phil.

Thanks!

-Tom

IF52

I was under the impression that Phil had a replacement alternative [not pressed in] that was an acceptable workaround ... I'd like to be free from having to replace the fragile lock rings that seem to inevitably fail and need to be tracked down and replaced.

I'll double check with Phil.

Thanks!

-Tom

A work around back in the day was to get a Mavic bottom bracket and have the BB shell chamfered with the correct Mavic tool. A coworker at the shop I used to work at had done that to his very early Yo Eddy. Very hard to find the now vintage Mavic BBs and a shop with the tools still though.

Actually Mainlyfats sold me a Team fat that had a Mavic BB and it seemed to work fine the little I rode the bike.

A more modern alternative today may be a BB that Velo Orange offers that uses the same principal, but doesn't require the chamfer to be cut.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/grand-cru-threadless-bottom-brackets.html

rick

Wicked BB

I have been running a White Brothers BB on an 89 Wicked for about 20 years. Never had a problem, have just replaced the bearings one time

mainlyfats

A work around back in the day was to get a Mavic bottom bracket and have the BB shell chamfered with the correct Mavic tool. A coworker at the shop I used to work at had done that to his very early Yo Eddy. Very hard to find the now vintage Mavic BBs and a shop with the tools still though.

Actually Mainlyfats sold me a Team fat that had a Mavic BB and it seemed to work fine the little I rode the bike.

A more modern alternative today may be a BB that Velo Orange offers that uses the same principal, but doesn't require the chamfer to be cut.

http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/grand-cru-threadless-bottom-brackets.html

Confirmed by Tom at VO as not working in press-in Fats.

"Quickly, the VO BB won't work for various reasons (too narrow BB width, too small an ID). Go with the Phil spindle and bearings." - from a PM.

rody

Tom,

If the issue is the locking collars, I remanufactured these years ago with a new pinch collar design that is MUCH more efficient and durable. No need to search endlessly, here they are...

http://groovycycleworks.com/fatproducts.aspx

These work with the original spindle only, the Phil spindle is a larger diameter and not compatible.

cheers,

rody

Bssc

If any one in NE needs their BB reamed for Mavic I have the tool, in a time log ago I was one of the instructors for Mavic Tec

BTW this is not my preferred measure for replacement BB's the shell is so thing there is little to support the BB

Last edited: