Fat Yo Eddy - cleaning out rust

Ronin 09

Hi fellas

greetings from Australia!

I've just purchased a Yo Eddy (in the post!) and it had a stuck seatpost.

The seatpost has been removed, and it looks like the rust isn't too bad inside.

I'm thinking of cleaning up the inside of the frame, and giving it a hit with Frame Saver, but not sure of the best way to clean out the rust?

I've read some info about giving it an oxalic acid bath on bike forums, and my motorcycle repairer mate has suggested filling it up with 'rust converter' for a few hours and then emptying it out. This apparently doesn't harm the steel.

Any other ideas from you guys?

cheers

oops this should probably be in the builders corner! can a moderator move it?

Last edited by a moderator:

Kirk Shell

Hi fellas

greetings from Australia!

I've just purchased a Yo Eddy (in the post!) and it had a stuck seatpost.

The seatpost has been removed, and it looks like the rust isn't too bad inside.

I'm thinking of cleaning up the inside of the frame, and giving it a hit with Frame Saver, but not sure of the best way to clean out the rust?

I've read some info about giving it an oxalic acid bath on bike forums, and my motorcycle repairer mate has suggested filling it up with 'rust converter' for a few hours and then emptying it out. This apparently doesn't harm the steel.

Any other ideas from you guys?

cheers

oops this should probably be in the builders corner! can a moderator move it?

Hello Ronin,

Sorry I can't help you with your question. I would however like to ask you one about your seat tube removal. I have a yo with a stuck aluminum or aluminium seat post. I was wondering if you had the same and how you removed the post.

I found some information from Sheldon Brown that suggested cooling the aluminum post as one method. Others were disolving the aluminum oxide corrosion with Ammonia. The last would be to cut the post out with hacksaw blade.

Can you share your situation and method.

Thanks!
Kirk.

malone

The jigsaw blade is your friend

Regarding the stuck seatpost, you can mess around with chemicals & heat, but I have found sawing it out to be pretty easy, and quick.

With a long blade, once you get a groove started, it goes pretty quickly. For really seized posts, if one slit doesn't work, I have found sawing two slits about a 1/2 inch apart works great, then just tap a flathead crewdriver between the post & frame, and the 1/2" piece will just fall out, as will the rest.

Sawing is a little more labor intensive, but I've done a couple in an evening w/o much sweat. You could fool around with chemicals for a week and still be jammed up.

Don't be scared, you can feel when you are through and you can clearly see your progress with a flashlight. You will know when you get to the steel, and you won't hurt it.

rody

You mean like this? :D

Attachments

• small seatpost cuts.jpg
    small seatpost cuts.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 24
  • small seatpost out.jpg
    small seatpost out.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 17
  • small seatpost remnants.jpg
    small seatpost remnants.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 26