Cranks

chruby99

Hey I am soon to be a new Fat owner. I am picking up a 92 wicked sometime this week. It is a frame and forks only. I intend to make it a single speed. I am a little bummed about the pressed in BB. I have a XTR/Boone Ti SS Crankset I have been saving for building a SS. But I find it hard to pass up such a fine steel ride. My question is about Bullseye cranks. Is it possible to put these cranks on using the pressed in cups. Will these work. If not is there a set you guy can recomend.

Spikes

I would try a Cook Bros Crankset. Don't expect any service from them, but they look the works!

Munson

I agree on both levels, don't use the Bullseye. Kind of a hassle with that bb.

Cook Bros cranks are stiff, fairly light, and dependable. They are also back in business (do a google search) and selling new cranks but they've renamed the classic RSR crank "Bonz" (because it looks like a dog-bone I guess)

wingzz

I have a 93 team fat chance and a set of the cook bros cranks, 2 questions
!) does anyone know the correct BB length I should be using??
2) does anyone have any rings or know what type will work with the cook bros (bonz) cranks??
Thanks
Mike

scant

to be honest I have a totally different experience of cooks cranks. namely appaling strength & reliability issues (esp crank arm tapers). the older CBRs & RSRs would need an axle length of 127mm (chainring size dependant) for a yo eddy. older CBRs & RSRs cranks normally used 110mm bolt circle diameter chainrings.

rody

Cooks and Topline both are well respected for their pretty appearance and efficient function... as long as you are not riding them. I have had nothing but trouble with both. Broke one set climbing out of the saddle (swore I broke my nuts too :eek: ) and another just riding along (thought my cleats were loose, the arm was hanging by a thread).

I've since moved on to tougher stuff. Cool ano option...Caramba double barrels. Super tough but finiky...Grove hot rods. Put them on and forget them...dare I say it, xtr.

Anyhow, keep the pressed bb, easy to maintain, adjust, and replace.

cheers,

rody