Difference between Wicked and Yo

orange71

I'm sorry if this has been asked a gazillion times before, but I have the opportunity to buy a Wicked, when I was after a Yo. What is the difference between the two? Please excuse my ignorance! You'll most likely tell me if I don't know then I don't deserve one!! But I have to start somewhere ;)

jh4rt

Shorter top tube, thinner tubing,

But you want to know about the ride. The Yo feels like a corvette, the Wicked more like a really well tuned Impala. Still bitchen to drive/ride, but completely different. I had only ridden Yos until a few weeks ago. I would say, on a personal note, that I still like riding the Yo better. But, I really like riding the Wicked too. I'm looking for one now.

Oops... you might not get that car analogy... not Mer'kan, right?

So... Wicked feels like it has a lower center of gravity. It is an incredibly stable bike. It is good in the switchback and slow; goes where you aim in and only where you aim it.

The Yo! You have to develop a relationship with your Yo because it goes where you want it to, sometimes before you want it to. Look back at your (slow) buddy, and you may find yourself off the trail. The Yo is downright twitchy.

Hope this helps. Jim.

colker

the wicked is a versatile bike.. it's a great city bike, touring bike AND it rips the technical singletrack.

Upchuck

I'm sorry if this has been asked a gazillion times before, but I have the opportunity to buy a Wicked, when I was after a Yo. What is the difference between the two? Please excuse my ignorance! You'll most likely tell me if I don't know then I don't deserve one!! But I have to start somewhere ;)
Having both in the stable, I highly recommend you do whatever it takes to get one of each...;)
Like jh4rt said, the Yo is a quick handling singletrack fiend that is at home on tight, twisty trails. The Wicked is great on singletrack, but tends to slow the trail down a little and doesn't make you pay for poor line choices.

rick

wicked vs. Yo

I agree with Upchuck, get (at least) one of each.

That said, my personal fave is the Wicked; more comfortable and all that.

wicked vs yo

*(both with a BOI fork on them)

compared to a yo eddy the wicked is;

-much more sensitive to the trail surface
-less stable at high speeds but very stable at slower speeds
-it is very agile and light
-more give and flex in the frame

d

Last edited:

colker

the yo eddy fork is tons better than the wicked fork. not only the flex is more controlled but the shorter rake gives the yo it's high speed handling.

i would say the yo is more capable to withstand abuse. the wicked tubes are small diameter and the bike is made for comfort. although place it in a technical singletrack and it gives you total control.
amazing bike.

BikeMojo

The Yo! You have to develop a relationship with your Yo because it goes where you want it to, sometimes before you want it to. Look back at your (slow) buddy, and you may find yourself off the trail. The Yo is downright twitchy.

Hope this helps. Jim.

reminds me of the August 99 BIKE Magazine review of the Ritchie Plexus

BIKE SEEKING RIDER
SLEEK, SLENDER AND REFINED hardtail looking for the discriminating rider who knows how to handle his bike with personality. Looking for the same old predictable ride? Look elsewhere. I demand the utmost attention and energy, but I'm worth every bit of it. I'll float up the climbs, carve the turns, and run till you can't stand any more.

OUT OF THE BOX
It is ironic featuring a steel hardtail with a one-inch steerer tube in a test of new designs, but this conservative package can fool you. Ritchie's Plexus is a thoughly modern race bike, and it's a beautiful exercise in minimalism.

ON THE TRAIL
With a steep 71.5-degree head angle, coupled with a steeper 74-degree seat angle, a tight 41 inch wheelbase, and a pair of skinny slick tires, the Plexus appears useless for chairlift riding. It's a fast, nervous, super-agile bike that demands to be ridden hard, and quickly sheds weaklings or idiots. Stay on top of it--in a riding position that feels decidedly more "on" than "in"-- and the Plexus rewards its rider with levitation-like climbing, lightning-fast in the twisties, and an overall demeanor begging for podium finishes. Daydream on the handlebar, and this bike will hurt you.

I like the part about the hurt. and of course the fire on the cover