Education for Novice Fat kid

kuna26

I just purchased my first Fat Chance a 1991 Monster frame. I am very excited. I have a couple of questions to further educate myself about this frame.

Does the monster require top or bottom pull front derailleur? I see it has a roller on the seat tube. It looks to be a 31.8 clamp?

I believe the seatpost is 29.4? Is is correct?

I know of Wendyl, but is it possible to contact her and get a BB and decals and color code of my frame if I can repaint? Mine has the Monster Fat on downtube and Monster head with "Creation of" on the steerer tube.

My serial number is 311M1M.

Thanks

rick

Monster Fat

Welcome to the Fat world.
By the serial number, your new bike is a medium 1991 Monster Fat.
Monsters came with lots of different decals, but you are in luck as Wendyll should have the style that you need.
The seat post should be 26.4, the later bikes had 29.4, (not certain about when the change was made, but my 91 is 26.4 and my 93 is 29.4).
Not having my bike in front of me I can't recall the derailleur size, but it should indeed have a pulley. As the pulley is below the deraileur, does that make it a bottom pull? Whatever. Post pics when you get the bike built up.
Hope that this helps.

rick

kuna26

Thanks

That helped alot, I wrote down your numbers and went to my LBS (who know zip on Fat's) measured and it came back at 26.4 seatpost and 28.6 front derailleur. You should have seen the look on their face when measuring - almost as if the frame was built on Mars - kind of sad that they don't know anything but disc brakes, big air, and massive suspension.

Thanks for you help.

Doug Carter

Staff member
LOL, you should see their faces when you ask if they have ANY 26.4 mountain seatposts in the back collecting dust. That's the worst part of that frame (as the Wicked Lite), the 26.4 mm seatpost is almost impossible to find if you are looking for something zoot. There have been a few UNO posts on eBay over the past few months for CHEAP, but they aren't Ringle or Syncros.

My purple UNO looks choice on the Wicked, though. :)

dc

Yo Eddy!

Hope to take delivery of my custommade 29.4 Heylight next week. Maybe they can also built you a 26.4mm. Don't come cheap, but for what you get price is really okay. Bad thing is that it's 'Made in Germany' (that is not bad) and the euro is pretty pricy.

kuna26

Extra questions

Want to repaint my 1991 Monster, and I sent an email off to you know who requesting decals. Who do you guys reccommend for painting? My monster is Hot Pink, not sure it's specific color code or if it had a specific name. Do you recommend clear coating over the decals and will that protect them?

Also, thought it would be cool to have a Rock Shox Mag repainted the same color and put on. Would that be a vintage no-no, it currently has a black rigid fork, not the big one. Would the geometery be completely ruined? I saw a 1992 catalog and it showed a Monster with a Tange suspension fork.

Thanks

Doug Carter

Staff member
Nah, I don't think it would be a no-no for a '91. My '93 Wicked has a Mag21, and it is painted to match, as well. Considering the Monster is essentially a Wicked with different decals, there shouldn't be any reason not to run a springer up front.

rick

Monster Fat

hey Doug,

Only the very early Monster was a re-decaled Wicked, and you don't see many of those.

This Monster (91) has goemetry basically the same as a YO, with a monostay rear end.

Kuna26, your bike should ride fine with a suspension fork, as long as it does not have too much travel. I have a Manitou on my 91 Monster, 80mm I think, and it is fine.

Many (most?) Fats did not have clear coating over their decals. I don't know why, but it is very common to see bikes with a decent paint job, but poor decals.

When I had my 91 re-painted the painter was hesitant to clear coat over the decals; apparently some types of decals are designed for clear coating and others are not? I really don't know.

I have had vinyl decals clear coated with no problems.

kuna26

No problem, will post pictures when completed. So far almost have entire Dx gruppo that is NOS. I just need brakes and a crankset. Getting Mag 20 repainted to match the frame. Should be sweet. Now I want to get another.