push in bottom brackets

clockworkgazz

Looking to get a longer spindle/axle for my push in bottom bracket- anyone know where I might get my hands on one need a 127-128?

clockworkgazz

thanks for that, but with the pound being so pants and the the fact that this build already threatens to send me to the poor house, I might just have to continue the search.....:(

clockworkgazz

do you think I could get away with getting rid of the collars and just using loctite on the spindle to hold it in position or is this a bit mental?

Butcher

do you think I could get away with getting rid of the collars and just using loctite on the spindle to hold it in position or is this a bit mental?

Locktight wont hold it, but the question makes me wonder why you are going to the longer axle? Is it to clear the cranks from hitting the stays or are your cranks bottoming on the collar? If it's the later, what is the condition of the tappers on the cranks?

clockworkgazz

Locktight wont hold it, but the question makes me wonder why you are going to the longer axle? Is it to clear the cranks from hitting the stays or are your cranks bottoming on the collar? If it's the later, what is the condition of the tappers on the cranks?

Hi Butcher

I need the longer spindle as the cook cranks do not clear the stays with the 118 spindle I have:( I also have a mismatched set of collars one is a good bit fatter so this reduces the available taper for other cranks. Thinking of turning down a conventional spindle before maybe buying from phil wood. Does anyone have the dimentions of a spindle diameter etc.?

Butcher

Hi Butcher

I need the longer spindle as the cook cranks do not clear the stays with the 118 spindle I have:( I also have a mismatched set of collars one is a good bit fatter so this reduces the available taper for other cranks. Thinking of turning down a conventional spindle before maybe buying from phil wood. Does anyone have the dimentions of a spindle diameter etc.?

I seem to remember the Fat Chance spindle is not metric, 5/8" and the The Phil Wood set up is 17mm. Phil claims you can run their set up without collars, but I found out otherwise when the spindle shifted. Having run the Phil Set up I prefer the original Fat set up with collars.

I like the collars I got from Rody but those are tad wider yet then the old Fat style collars. They mounted up with just enough clearance with my White Industry cranks. As the tappers wear over time I've been thinking I'll machine the collars down a tad for more clearence.