Looking for a Fat Chance....

stevek

Hi all,
Been half looking for a while and actively looking now :mad: , but I think I may need a little help. If any of you guys out there learn of anything cropping up can you let me know? I'd appreciate it!
Yo Eddy! or Wicked in a Medium would be great. Prefer UK really or Europe at a push, US only if an absolute barg turns up...(It'd have to be when you factor in the duty/tax etc) :D

Thanks
Steve

Marc996

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

John

Administrator
Staff member
I bought mine of mtb-news.de. I'm sure you already are but I'd be checking ebay.de, ebay.co.uk and ebay.com (or use the handy retrobike auction watch
wink.gif
) as well as places like stw, bike magic etc etc. Fortunately Fats aren't fetching crazy money currently like pukka Kleins seem to be
tongue.gif

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

stevek

Cheers matey, I have been looking in the places you suggested :D and have got a 1990 Wicked on it's way to me! Cool.

It does need some TLC though...still, it'll be fun doing it up.

John

Administrator
Staff member
Wicked, that's, er, Wicked
wink.gif

Good find. Where did you pick it up from?

stevek

Got it off ebay.com, you may have seen it on there. Yeah, it's a bit tatty but hell! it's nearly 16 years old!:p
It comes with a bit of stuff with it, 1" CK headset, rigid forks, quill stem, seatpin and some WI cranks...I've just gotta find the rest....lol! I'm laughing because I always end up getting impatient with any build and instead of buying the stuff I want bit by bit I end up buying loads to finish it all off so I can get out and ride!
First job is the paintwork/decals, I'll check out Dave Yates as he's not too far away and see if he's ready to take it on yet (he's just setting up new premises)
It's winging it's way to me as we speak....err...I hope..:rolleyes:

Cheers
Steve

John

Administrator
Staff member
I didn't see the auction but it sounds good, look forward to seeing pictures.

Patientence is something I also lack when it comes to building up bikes. Certain people I know spend months over a project...I generally get them up and running in days or weeks
biggrin.gif

If you need decals gil at cycleshed does repros.

stevek

Thanks for the lead for the decals, appreciate that.
I haven't got any stuff in yet for the build and with Christmas around the corner it may be a little while before I get it finished :( .
I'm looking forward to the day that I assemble everything though and it goes from a pile of bits to a complete bike!
I don't think that I'll be keeping it old stylee though, I mean, I want it to look nice of course but there will be a more modern touch to it, sympathetic to the era I hope. Sacrilege do you think?
I'll post photo's when it's all done.
You got any piccies of your Fat? Love to see 'em.

John

Administrator
Staff member
stevek said:
I'm looking forward to the day that I assemble everything though and it goes from a pile of bits to a complete bike!

Is right, certainly the best bit.

stevek said:
I don't think that I'll be keeping it old stylee though, I mean, I want it to look nice of course but there will be a more modern touch to it, sympathetic to the era I hope. Sacrilege do you think?

It's your bike
biggrin.gif
. I think you can build something that works well enough out of oldish parts. If you steer clear of the real chichi CNC stuff you'll be good.

stevek said:
I'll post photo's when it's all done.
You got any piccies of your Fat? Love to see 'em.

Cool, you got a link to your auction? Lot's of Fat pics in the readers rides gallery of Fat Cogs. Plenty of pics of my Yo here and here.

stevek

Nah, definitely no CNC stuff! :D The changes from the norm would probably just be to use riser bars with a low rise stem (straight bars look cool but cane my back!) and maybe V brakes and regular rapidfire shifters. Possibly go for the Middleburn cranks..? Whatchathink?
Your bike looks the dog's danglies mate!
Here's what's coming:

Attachments

• 55_3[1].jpg
    55_3[1].jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

John

Administrator
Staff member
Looks nice. What year is it? Looks like you'll be needing new decals too
biggrin.gif

I'd go for a higher stem and flat bars. Risers aren't quite right on a retro ride IMHO, but at the end of the day it's up to you
wink.gif

rody

Ooops...

sorry Steve, I bid that one up just because I couldn't stand to see it go for so cheap. Had I known it was another Fatcog I would have stayed out of the way. Still, way cheap for the frame with the King and White crank.

Can't wait to see it...

cheers,

rody

stevek

I think I know what you're saying, I've got some straight bars in the garage, I'll check it out first before I try the riser route.
The Wicked's a '90 and you're right, new paint and decals required! Hmm..what paint job to have????
Rody you git! :D LOL, Just joking mate. Yeah, you're right, it was still a good price and I was prepared to go higher.
You guys been out lately? I went out yesterday for a couple of hours as I've been slacking lately (only going out once a week and not trying hard enough ;) ......) Sheesh! My toes were like blocks of ice! If I'd have stubbed my toes I'd have been shaking them out of my shoes when I got back! Probably go out again on Sunday with any luck.

Cheers
Steve

Last edited:

John

Administrator
Staff member
Titec do a real wide flat bar with a bit more sweep (if that's your reason for going the riser route).

As for paint scheme the world is your oyster
biggrin.gif
. Check out the readers rides gallery here for ideas. Depends if you want to go for a stock fat colour (grello is my fave, think the wicked was available in this colour) or something wild like the cow print one.

Still getting out, although it is getting a little colder.

stevek

Cheers mate, I've been perusing the readers rides gallery and checking out the colours. That Holstein Cow paint job is summat else!
Got out yesterday for 20 odd miles, not too bad on the old toes! Next ride out on Thursday with any luck.